Ibanez discontinued models.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IconBasser, Feb 1, 2008.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser

Why is it that Ibanez comes up with literally hundreds of exemplary models, but discontinues each after a few years of production?

the only one that's been around for any notable period of time is the SR500 series. All of the others have been demised.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Not sure but I would imagine they want to keep pumping out new variations of their basses to sell more. That said the soundgear line body (sr) has been around for at least a dozen years and reincarnates itself over and over again.

3. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Good question... And the Soundgear line (IMO) sucks hard.

4. IconBasser

IconBasser

I actually love soundgear basses...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Sorry dude... Just my opinion. I think Ibanez had made some killer lines. I do NOT see the Soundgear line as one of 'em though.

7. dbcandle

dbcandle

I would guess that rather than compete head-to-head with Fender, producing basses with designs that date-back to the 50s, they are doing market analysis and data-mining to see "what's hot". Grocery stores and other major retail outlets do the same thing - if it doesn't "move" it doesn't get reordered.

8. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

I think the soundgear line is OK...the higher end ones are pretty nice.

I LOVE the older Ergodyne basses though. Especially the original EDB-500.

I like that Ibanez is constantly doing new and different things. Variety is a good thing.

9. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

An old (say 82) Musician Fretless is one of the few items I really GAS for.

[​IMG]

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

I like the sound of the ATK and the Gary Willis. It looks though like the ATK might be around for a while this time.

In some respect, the Soundgears might be Ibanez's Jazz bass in the that model remains their consistent top sellers. Fender has introduced a ton of basses - some of them very good - but none of them have ever knocked over the P or J.

11. ROON

ROON

What really pisses me off is Ibanez's "signature" basses. They're all just regular production line basses with some crappy graphics on them and maybe a different control layout.

BORING. :oops:

12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

They are usually constructed differently too, ie different materials.

I think the reason Ibanez go through so many models is to not let anything get stale, im glad i got my EDA905 tho, and all my other Ibbys :)

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

They are really nice basses. A shop near mine recently had a Musician 8 string that was beautiful to hear.

14. seedyv

seedyv

I got my hands on an ATK300 on clearance just before they were discontinued. Now I see they have 200 andd 1200 models.

15. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Media:
    +1. Think The Police "King Of Pain"
    Hmmmmm, wonder if Sting still owns his....

16. KingRAW

KingRAW

I would say Ibanez would have had a hard time if it wasn't for the SR series. It's the most accessible of the lines and allows all kinds of players to experience a fast, comfortable, good sounding bass.

I don't know why everyone judges the SR's according to the entry level models. :meh:

17. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay Supporting Member

I play Ibanez basses beccause I am on a low budget and I like them!
    If it weren't for the sentimental value of my Ibanez basses I would likely
    play a Chinese Cyrrus. On the same note, I would not trade my Sb1500
    for any other bass unless I could replace it!

18. Relayer71

Relayer71

I love the Soundgear basses - not so much the older ones but the ones from the last 4 years or so: they're very comfy/ergonomic, are made well, sound good (and with the EQ you can really tailor your sound) and are great bargains.

I mean, come on, this is a great bass for $550 (and the SR300 is great for $300): http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/bass/all/s211P04100810530/

However, I agree, they've made some other great basses that should still be around, most notably the Musician. They did bring the Musician back last year but come on, a limited edition $10,000 version? Lol. They could make a killing if they released an affordable (sub $1000) version.

But I give credit to Ibanez for continuously trying to update their line. And they've got one of the more varied lines of all the mass manufacturers: SR (and two SR-variations, the SRX and SRA), BTB, ATK, Artcore, and now the new Grooveline (which would have been killer if they'd modified that lower horn a bit... it just looks strange).

19. bssist

bssist

I dig the old sr800. I got my first one in the early 90s. It wasn't the cheapest thing available at the time, but when I picked it up I could instantly play things that I could only hear in my head before. I've tried newer sr models, but none of them stand up, in my opinion. I love my Fender jazz basses, but the narrower neck of the 800 is quicker and easier for my short fingers.

20. ErikW

ErikW

+1
    My SR700 is an awesome bass. Just ordered an SR705. They are so light and comfortable to play and you can dial in just about any tone you need. Extremely versatile. Just my 2cents.

21. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

I have two ibanez basses, an SR885 and also an SR400. I completely stripped out all the electronics and pickups out of the SR400 and put in EMG stuff and made it an 18v system. Sounds a hundred times better. I didnt really like the sound of the stock SR400 pickups. I thought they sounded a little muddy.

Overall I love the way my basses sound now and play. I always felt comfortable on an ibanez. I think they are great basses to start on or if you are looking for something to modify on a budget.