1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ibanez edc700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpiderDan, Jun 30, 2004.

1. SpiderDan

SpiderDan

Hey i have just played a ibanez edc700 it felt well comfortable as i have only played bass fro a couple of weeks i dont realy understand what is good or bad but this guitar feels so good.

Shall i get it?
  2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

The ergodyne series of Ibanez's tends to increase in the suckage factor after you've owned it for a little while. I had an EDB-600, and I loved it at first.. But as time progressed it began to suck. Also, the ergodynes smell like paint.. It's annoying :-\
  3. bottomfeedins

bottomfeedins

Go with wood. Can't go wrong that way.
  4. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

I played an eda once. the sound (probably because of the pickup though) was sterile. piezo was all right. and the comfort was excellent. still, it smells like... uh bad. and it doesn't go away (I know from a cort curbow a friend of mine has) thats about it.
  5. SpiderDan

SpiderDan

So it sux :(

i rely like it though i feel good when i play it and looks so cool 2:(

i tryed every other bass in the shop and this was the only one that felt right and it sounded the best to.

the guy in the shop said if he had to pic outa a fender p and the edc700 he would pic the ibanez
  6. vegaas

vegaas

I have an EDC that I really like.
    I like the sound, I like the feel, I like the playability.
    The only problem I have run into is the connector for the cord. It gets loose and because it is not made of wood it remains a problem. I have had to resoder the wires 2 times over the past 4 years because of it.
    Other than that, for the money, I think it is a decent bass. Purists dont like it because it is not wood, but I dont have a problem with that.
  7. poppyto

poppyto

I had an EDB600 and i liked it for 1 month and I hated it during the rest of the time (2 years)

Today I play on Stringray, THIS is a very well bass :)
  8. bass_man86

bass_man86

I own an EDC705 myself, it was the first five banger that I bought, and I will admit that for the most part I have moved on. That being said, my bass never smelled like paint, I never had a problem with the jack, and the sound is not bad. Could you do better, sure, but it's not a bad ax. What I don't like about it: the string spacing is too tight (like a Stingray), and the scale is 34" rather than 35".
  9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis

This is an stupid and non postable comparation.
  10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Ibanez' ergodyne series have really got a bad rap. First, screw the EDB. The EDC700 is obsolete, get an EDC710. MF or AmericanMusicalSupply (I forgot which) is blowing them out. I had an EDA, I want another. :bassist:
  11. SpiderDan

SpiderDan

Well i am still gonna get it because i thinki will enjoy it and if i dont i can sell it or get another one(im not short of cash so no probs) anotherday

thanx guys
  12. vegaas

vegaas

I think you are going to be happy with it. I have no real complaints about mine. I still use it even though I have what are considered more high end basses.
  13. dees

dees

My first bass was an EDC700, and I don't regret buying it, I think it's a good bass.
    It's not my main bass (that's a Stingray now), but I often play it
  14. SpiderDan

SpiderDan

thnx for all the feed back
  15. SlavaF

SlavaF

The Ergodynes aren't bad, but IMO the Ibanez BTB's blow them away completely. :bassist:
  16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Don't, man.. Get a BTB or something.. It really doesn't matter that you're short of cash.. the resell value for the ergodyne series is HORRIBLE. You'll lose a lot of cash that you don't need to lose.
  17. Spoon

Spoon

I own a EDC700. I have played for 3 years and it's my first bass. I can agree with its funky smell, but it doesnt bother me. When it comes to playability, its a reason for naming it Ergodyne Series. It plays like a dream and sits just perfect. Because I havent tried that many basses I really dont know how it sounds "direct" to the board, but I think it may be a bit sterile. It can be tweaked by its EQs though. Through my Ashdown with the pre-shape in, it comes out very good. Im thinking of getting a MIA Jazz, but will def keep the EDC. Go for it, you won't regret!
  18. MortallyWounded

MortallyWounded

I've been interested in getting one because of the oddity factor. I never liked the shape of the 700s though, but I got one anyway because it was in nearly perfect condition. Only a minor blemish on the tip of the headstock, a missing truss rod cover, and a couple loose knobs. No problems now.

For a plastic body that's over fifteen years old, this is in great shape. The frets are smooth, the truss rod is tight but it doesn't bind, and the action is pretty good. It may require a shim, but being a bolt on that shouldn't be a problem.

Now, as far as the sound being sterile... sure, it's got no natural tone at all. But for a setup with lots of effect pedals, this thing is great for pure electric sound. The tone control is versatile, the output is strong (even with those cheap Ibanez pickups) and the controls are easy to reach. I spent $225 on it, and it's easily the nicest four-string fretted bass I own.

If yours sucks, I'm sorry to hear it. Mine doesn't. I'm very impressed with it.
  19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Actually you have the best of the Ergodyne models- I've had an EDA900 (still have it), an EDA905, EDB400, EDB500, EDB600 and an EDC700. The sound of the EDC700 is exceptional and the body kind of grows on you. A little like a Gibson Ripper or a Stingray type body.
    I agree too that Ergodyne basses got a bad rap, and after 15 years or so, it doesn't smell like anything anymore. lol.