IBANEZ ERGODYNE EDB 500 BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NZBassman, Jan 22, 2014.

1. NZBassman

NZBassman

does anyone have one of these basses or owned one in the past? - if so what are your thoughts in it

I'm looking at buying this bass on a popular buy / sell website in NZ
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=687592668
    it is at a pretty good price (NZ$) and the seller says it's in good cond...etc..

I've not played a bass made of lutherlite before, but have heard they are pretty lightweight and I like the idea of having a lighter bass.

any thoughts would be much appreciated :bassist:

2. NZBassman

NZBassman

3. UK Philip

UK Philip

it's an ibanez so it's going to be ergonomic/quality as long as it's been kept properly.

i know what it's like to pay through the nose because you're non-american...can you buy on ebay with protection in NZ?

4. garp

garp

The material is called Luthite. I don’t consider it to be particularly lightweight, but it’s not as heavy as lead either. I own an EDB605, which I like a lot. But despite the smaller, ergonomically-shaped body, it’s probably the heaviest bass I own. As always, if you can try the 500 out before purchasing, that would be advisable.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I have the Ibanez EDA900 and EDB600 but have owned the Ibanez EDA905, EDB400,EDB500 and also an EDC700. they're very decent basses. Not lightweight as mentioned above, but ergonomically shaped (the luthite ones) and sounds pretty good. They are discontinued and the closest approximation to them are the current higher end SR series.
    The best of the lot is the EDC700, the EDB500 though is a very good bass- good EQ on it, pretty versatile.
    PM me if you have any specific questions about them.

7. kev b

kev b

I have had one for 6 months and I love it!

I bought it to use on gigs where the stage is crowded or the venue "risky" to save my owned from new 1978 JB from being stolen or damaged. It is not a light bass @ 9.5lb but it balances well, the neck is very thin and the fretboard quite narrow which I like.
    Scale length is slightly longer than a Fender which might mean a bit of a stretch for smaller hands, access at the the high end of the 24 fret neck is excellent.

Mine needed a bit of a set up but was owned by a beginner who gave up and now it plays like butter. After playing my Jazz exclusively since 1978 I found it difficult not having a thumb rest but I jammed a pick beside the neck pickup and this does the trick.

The only bad thing I can say is that if it is left in the case for a while you can smell petrol when you open it up! Luthite?

8. NZBassman

NZBassman

thanks for the replies - but in the weekend I bought a new bass
    Fender Squire Vintage Modified 4 string Jazz Natural finish
    It was on special at the music shop!
    I tried the squire and the compared it with an ESP bass that was similar in price / colour but had 1 split PJ pick up and 1 jazz pick up. It had slightly more bottom end than the Squire, but I likes the block inlay on the neck of the squire

9. KingRazor

KingRazor

I really don't like the luthite ones, but if you can find an Ibanez EDB550 (which is really hard to find) that bass is great!

10. aggrokragg

aggrokragg

I had the EDB600 which had slightly better hardware on it.

I really liked the Ergodyne's save a few issues.

1. They are kinda heavy.

2. The sound they make, while smooth and booming, is really deep bordering on muddy. Even with the 3-band EQ. I played metal on it, and it had some trouble cutting through the mix even playing with a pick. I eventually ended up trading it for a soundgear SRX.

That said, if you're playing any kind of dark, ambient, dance, or industrial stuff, the thing is a beast. Throw a 9-volt battery in it and rock!

11. bazza99

bazza99

Go buy it - I've owned dozens of basses and this will always be in my top 3! Luthite body is shapely and comfortable and, playing-wise, it's a dream. I've never known such a great, low action on a bass. Buy it and you'll keep it forever.