1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ibanez EX Series Bass question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pickbass, Dec 29, 2012.

1. pickbass

pickbass

Hi all. I'm thinking about picking up an Ibanez EX Series Bass as a backup for my old B. C. Rich Bich bass. I know the Ibanez has a very thin neck and from what I've read everyone says to use light gauge strings on it. I tend to prefer ProSteel mediums though. The band I'm in plays tuned a 1/2-step down. Do you think even with the lower tuning medium gauge would be too much? Thanks in advance!

2. meatwad

meatwad

I've owned two Ibanez EX Series fivers over the years, and don't recall string gauge being any more of an issue with them than any other bass. I currently own an RD707, which is quite similar to the EX's neck profile, and have .045-.105 D'Addario nickels on it with no problem. Seems like Ibanez and DR High Beams also get along wonderfully, IIRC.

3. pickbass

pickbass

Thanks meatwad. I didn't think it would be an issue. I have a bass I built with a Carvin neck which is also fairly thin and even with .055 - .110s at standard pitch it wasn't a problem. It is being refinished right now though so I have only the medium scale B. C. Rich that doesn't really like being detuned. It looks like it's still going to be at least a couple of months before I get it back at the rate it's going. :crying:

4. ksandvik

ksandvik

I had one long time ago and for fun had Rotosounds with D-G-C-F tuning. Worked just fine. Thin neck should not be an issue. Now, a thin neck also will increase the thinness of the bass sound so try to stay away from such bass guitars nowadays.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pickbass

pickbass

Ksandvik, I don't worry that much about sound being too thin anymore. I use pretty much every bass tone there is at every gig. I've found it is a whole lot easier, at least for me, to tame a thin and overly bright sound than try to bring treble out of a bass that has a dark sound. We have several '80s songs in the set list that have very bright tones that make even a Ric sound dark.

7. ksandvik

ksandvik

Yes we all have various opinions but for me the more the wood resonates, the more bassy and nice the tone is. Less wood in the body or neck, the resonation levels decrease.

You could of course compensate with EQ and compression but the natural bass sound is gone and replaced with a generic bass sound with no character. Anyway, just my opinion (and use of physics :) ).

8. pickbass

pickbass

I agree ksandvik. I play in a cover band that plays pretty much every style of music there is that would be called dance music save for ballroom dancing lol. I had to learn to compromise long ago on my tone playing live. Since we barely allow 5 seconds between songs I have to make do with what I can do without switching basses.

I do have a bass that is for personal enjoyment of playing that is exactly a woody warm sound. It just isn't cut out for the variety of sounds I need to replicate live.