1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez gio preamp replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by atlboriqua, Dec 10, 2013.

1. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

Hey guys,

So I just picked up an Ibanez gio off of craigslist for $150. I know this isn't by any means a gem, but I have been looking for a workhorse bass for my cover gigs.

My main bass is a 4 string fender American jazz bass. As great as it sounds, it doesn't give me the beef for some rock songs we do. Plus I could really use the low B. I'm looking at removing the "phat II" preamp that is currently in it and putting an Aguilar OBP3 in it. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? I figure for the price I bought it for would justify me spending another $150-$200 to make it sound more "presentable"
  2. vxjoe

vxjoe

I used a bass mods eq to replace the original in my Sr 805. Active, passive stacked bass, treble. Passive tone stacked with mid pot. Push pull active passive on volume pot. Sounds great, brought out the B string like I wanted. Passive is a welcome addition. Never heard an opb3. But these are half the price and go right in. Even with the active pickups. Let us know how it goes.
  3. BassLife77

BassLife77

I own 2 of those basses and if you are going to drop an Aguilar in there you should also upgrade the pickups. When I upgraded mine it was like night and day. Even a Guitar Jones or GFS are better than those stock ones. what sucks is you might have to make a bigger pickup cavity. the new pickups didn't fit and I had to file out bigger cavities
  4. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

I've though about upgrading the pickups as well, just don't want to invest a huge amount into the bass. $200 is fine with me right now. But maybe in a few months it will be a different story.

I decided to go ahead with the Aguilar preamp. It's a trusted preamp that I know will give me good results. Been doing lots of research on them. Once it's installed I'll let you guys know how it goes.
  5. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

Just got the Aguilar installed and it sounds SO much better!! Very smooth bottom end and a great top end. The only problem is there is a slight buzz in when I boost the treble. I will be taking it back to the shop to have that looked at.

I can see that the tone can still be improved with the pickups swapped out. The midrange isn't clear and thick to me. It sounds sloppy. In the near future, I may look to change those as well.