Ibanez GSR 180 vs Ibanez GSR 200???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by n1andJ, Mar 5, 2014.

1. n1andJ

n1andJ

Hi guys, newbie here. Im quite confuse on what to avail since Im looking for a bass which suites my budget and I found this two. Can you help me, for those who have an of this, define the strengths and weaknesses of the two? which one is better? Thanks!!!:help:
  2. Immigrant

Immigrant

Welcome to Talkbass!

There are very few differences between those two models. I'd go with the 200. It's a fine starter bass, and Ibanez's numbering system for their models dictate the higher the number within the same model line, usually the better the bass.

You'll have fun with either, moreso with the 200.
  3. MyMusic

MyMusic

I agree. The GSR200 is a really nice bass to start out with if you are on a limited budget. I started out with one and still have it. Once you get the bass, have it adjusted by a guitar tech and put some new strings on it and it will do a nice job for you.
  4. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

If I'm not mistaken , the 180 is a single PU and the 200 is a double PU so you will have a little more versatility with the 200. I AM sure about the 200 cause I'm looking at mine right now. It was my gigging bass for a while and is a faithfull backup as we speak. I still use it for rehearsals sometimes cause it's a couple pounds lighter than my P Bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. n1andJ

n1andJ

I thought so.

I think the 180 has 2 PU, and by the looks of it, i think that it is a jazz bass unlike the 200 which has a P/J set up. Am I right about this? :hyper:
  7. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

I'd get the 180. It's passive, so it doesn't need a battery, and the pickups should be hum cancelling when both are on. As hassle-free as the 200 is, this one's a bit more hassle-free.
  8. n1andJ

n1andJ

So you mean that the 180 has a humbucker pick-up, am i right?
  9. MyMusic

MyMusic

Looking at pictures, the 180 has 2 j type pickups and the 200 has a p and a j type pickup.
  10. n1andJ

n1andJ

I agree. So the 200 is more versatile when it comes to various style we play?
  11. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

I have had my gsr200 as my main axe for years. Sure there is better, but it was one of my first basses. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Take my word the gsr200 is a tank. No matter how many dings & bangs it has, its tone stays the same..the pj setup is killer. Rock, jazz, funk, pop are some if the genres I've used it for.
  12. Machiavelli

Machiavelli

The GSR 180 has a "jazz bass" style pickup configuration. The GSR 200 has a Precision + Bridge J Pickup configuration.

Both are fine and plenty swear by each. There are plenty of youtube videos comparing Precision basses to Jazz basses that might give you an idea of the difference.

I started on a GSR 200 and it's fine. To be clear, the GSR 200 is not necessarily a better bass just b/c it's $20 more. They're more a matter of preference.
  13. Wallace320

Wallace320

But you'd better look for a GSR200B ("b" stands for black hardware) 'cause phat boost is good to enhance resonation of the agathis body on regular GSR200. GSR200B sport a mahogany body, already able to fully resonate - more than agathis - so that additional phat boost, instead of some sort of "necessary evil", becomes a full "plus" feature on that one.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  14. Lowendluver

Lowendluver

Mine is the GSR 180 BS, and I love it! — is there in the avatar