1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez GSR 200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harpspitfire, Jan 17, 2014.

1. harpspitfire

harpspitfire

i just found out this bass needs a battery- question- does this battery need to be in and does it last very long? after reading reviews till im about crazy, it seems a good bass, but the yamaha 170 seems just as well liked costing a bit less, im stuck on a fence here
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just unplug the cable from the bass when you are done playing each time, and the battery will last a very long time.
  3. MyMusic

MyMusic

Definitely unplug from the bass. As for the choice of bass, both are good choices. You'll have to make the decision based on how you feel about each one. A big thing that I think is overlooked is having the bass you buy adjusted and decent strings installed. These two things can make a big difference in performance.
  4. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Supporting Member

GSR series are great! Balanced/Light with a clear tone. I had one with a reverse p/j. Upgraded bridge/pups to emg- sounded like a warwick/spector!
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

I've got a GSR 206 and yes the battery needs to be in but they last a long time. Just unplug when not using it. Mine is a killer feeling, killer playing, with tone to die for, bass. Cripes I got mine used and nearly had to pay new price for it because it's that good! The SR Ibby are THE classic active "modern" sound in a bass. Big fat stomping tone.

I only have two complaints about mine. One is it doesn't have 24 frets like my SR506 and the other is that the pickups don't quite cover 6 strings evenly and you have to compensate a bit with EQ. But really neither of these apply to you. I"m sure it WILL cover 4 strings just fine and I only like 24 frets on my 6ers so you have two octaves up the C string.

But if you think I'm voting Ibby here, you'd be wrong because Yammies are killer basses too. I don't own one but nearly did a couple of times because of the extreme bang for the buck. They tend to be a totally different kind of feel and in the case of a 170 a P/J a passive more traditional kind of bass in spite of the shape, but still excellent in its own way.

So sorry. Both basses are killer choices and both brands are a great choice. I suggest trying them both if you can and see which one speaks to you. If it were me I'd decide on how the basses felt in my hands when I played them and on the kind of tone each of them had compared to what I was looking for. The rest wouldn't much matter to me.

I bought the GSR because I have lots of old school basses. For example I've got a Squire P/J in Agathis which would be similar to the Yamaha. Note my Squire cost me more than half again as much used as the Yamaha does new. Did I say bang for buck? But I have no idea what kind of sound you are looking for.
  6. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Yes, battery in. Use a good one, unplug the bass when you're not playing it and it should hold for months (even one year +). When it gets drained it won't die out all of a sudden, so there will be signs that it needs to be replaced (distortion, volume loss, etc).

As for choice - you are the only one who can decide. TEST THEM IN PERSON before buying. It's a dead simple, but critical advice.
  7. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

My son has one. Yes , battery in. Unplug it when not in use and the batteries last 6 months to a year. If the battery goes dead , so does the bass...... carry a spare. BTW , it's the best sounding bass in the house (and this statement comes from a guy that plays a P Bass.) I have a GSR 200 4 string that's non battery and it doesn't sound as good. I would steal it from him but I don't like 5ers.
  8. The Rage

The Rage

I owned a gsr200 for at least 4 years, and changed the battery 2 times only... If I remember well the bass is passive and the battery is needed only for the bass boost (Phat II EQ)... Tell me if I'm wrong.
    For the price I think this bass is very good (and pretty light...)
  9. thrasher666

thrasher666

I have EMG's (PJ set) in my RD707, and I set it up with 2-9V batteries, batteries last nearly a year (playing 1-2 hours 2x a week) Like everyone said, unplug the cord from the jack when not in use & they'll last quite a while.
  10. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

I LOVE my gsr200. It's a whole lot of bass for the price.
  11. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Passive pickups, active EQ, yes. Overall still an active bass though. As long as it needs a battery to operate, it's active ;)
  12. The Rage

The Rage

Ok, thanks. ;)
  13. Ferret

Ferret

Easy fix and battery last for ever. Put a micro switch in bass to shut battery off even when plugged in. Like breaks etc. did it to my Ibanez axestar I have since 1985 and maybe a battery every two years.
  14. Ferret

Ferret

Here is a pic, hard to see but you can see a small silver dot beside the input jack. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392429888.739817.jpg