Ibanez GSR205 v Ibanez SR505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lloydage, Dec 15, 2012.

1. lloydage

lloydage

Hi

Ive been playing 4 string bass for quite a few years now and am thinking of branching into 5 string territory.

At my local shop they have both makes above. Theres quite a big price difference. The GSR205 is about £240 whereas the SR505 is £540.

Is the difference that noticeable? Is the SR505 much better quality and worth the extra notes? Debating whether to start my 5 string career on the budget £240 or perhaps save a bit more for the more expensive model.

Any thoughts / opinions from anyone that is familar with these 2 models?

Cheers
    Lloyd
  2. awamori

awamori

3. El-Bob

El-Bob

The 505 will be a big step up from the 205, and well worth the extra cost. I say go with the 505, no question.
  4. darkstorm

darkstorm

The sr505 is a big jump up, large upgrade, from the gr205.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Yes, it is most definitely worth the extra scratch. The pickups are far superior, the setups on the SR505's out of the box is excellent, the necks are way more comfortable, and you have a better preamp by far. If you ever decide to sell the Sr505 (if you are smarter than me, you won't sell yours lol) it will go a lot faster than that GSR205 will. Get ready though, you may not want to play anything else!! lol
  7. Bassace28

Bassace28

The sr505 is an amazing bass. I own one and I highly recommend it if you're looking for a good 5 string.
  8. lloydage

lloydage

Thanks for your advice guys...

Yeh looks like Ill go with the SR505.. Looking forward to purchasing this ...(without my missus discovering yet another bass appearing in the house)..

I do have a bad GAS problem :)
  9. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

If you want to experiment with 5ers, then the 205 would be the cheaper option. Ibbys have tight string spacing on 5ers and 6ers so that might throw you off. Better not invest a lot just for the sake of fiddling :)

But if you want a very good & reliable 5er, the 505 the best option from the entire SR line (apart from Premiums & Prestige). Well made, articulate & clear tone but with enough "muscle" if needed. Well balanced & light. It's superior in every aspect to a 205 (which is an entry level bass). There are 2 versions: the one with maple fretboard has a more open & lighter tone, while the rosewood one has more low end.