1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez help....Neck relief is not very even...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Outlaws, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Outlaws

Outlaws

I have setup my share of 6 string guitars, but this is my first bass setup. its a 4 string ibanez sr600. picked it up used last week.

ibanez with factory specs using .045-.105 strings says the neck relief should be between .3mm-.5mm at the 8th fret with the first fret fretted and fret at the body.

it took about a half a turn to loosen the truss rod and get my feeler gauge for E about .457mm (.018in feeler). however the G is between .813mm and .889mm. ?!?! I have never seen that sort of variation. is this a bass thing?

EDIT:
    I put the E to right about .3mm and the G is kissing the .65mm but clearing the .75mm gauge. it just seems excessive.
  2. Solarmist

Solarmist 15 miles from Mt Rainier Supporting Member

I have the same bass, and setting relief is pretty easy.

The method you're using is correct by depressing the 1st & last frets similtaineously (which creates a straightedge at fret level), and checking the clearance at the 8/9th fret.
    .012 is ideal, but a smidge more is fine.

I always use the G string to set relief, because buzz from the G/D strings sounds a lot worse than A/E, and I'm not sure why the upper strings have a tad bit more clearance than the lowers other than there's more tension on the upper strings which may very slightly twist the neck - not quite sure.
  3. Outlaws

Outlaws

well I went in and returned the guitar. it was an as is sale but they let me. I had the truss rod totally straight on the bass strings and the treble was still bowed and then leveling off at the body. one guy thought it played fine.... :|

I got a new SR700 instead. felt better than their SR1200 even, granted the setup was out of sack with reverse bowing on the 1200.

so since I was crazy and it was in my head immediately took to setting up this one.

both the E and G are right about .45mm at the 8th fret. ...w/ 1st and 19th fretted. the action is 9/64th on E and 8/64th on G. when I get a 1.5mm Allen I will lower it a hair.

but please give your opinion on this bow. this is NOT the original bass from the first post, this is what I got instead. this IMO looks good, but they thought it should be flatter. I am not a seasoned bass player, but it plays even better than in the store now IMO.

Attached Files:

4. BGF

BGF

Looks good on both sides. If it feels good and sounds right, keep it as is. :bassist:
  5. Solarmist

Well problem solved - congrats on the new SR700 - they're fantastic basses. I recently purchased an SR705 that I just love.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Relief looks a bit excessive to me. How does it measure out with the feeler gauges?

Riis
  7. Solarmist

^ Yeah - after looking at the pics - it does look excessive, but an easy fix.
  8. Outlaws

Outlaws

.45mm (.018"). ibanez says .3-.5mm

if I go closer to .3mm (.012") I will start to get more buzz I think. do most basses buzz a decent amount just because of the string size/vibration area.
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

May require you to adjust the string height a smidgen. If you are particularly ham-handed or dig in like you're fingering a longbow, there's a good chance you'll stir up some fretboard noise irrespective of the set-up.

Riis
  10. MrBKerth

MrBKerth

One issue I had with my sr700 was a twist in the neck. The E string side is twisting up and sounds twice as loud as the other songs at similar height. What I did is but a 2011 oly white mia jazz. Not bashing the 700 because I dug the sound but the quality on mine was bunk.
  11. Outlaws

Outlaws

well I walked in with a 6" ruler and feeler gauges. I wonder how many people they see doing that before buying. :D
  12. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

If you're restricting yourself to manufacturers specs you're potentially missing out on a very fine playing instrument.
  13. Outlaws

Outlaws

...and if you are not you could be getting a twisted neck....as I did at first. i have never run into a twisted neck before, so it caught me offguard.

nothing says you cannot tweak things to your liking, but from 20 years of playing 6 string I find manufacturers specs a good starting point for the setup.

but to be honest, I had the stuff with me to prevent them from arguing something wasn't there that was.