Ibanez Musician 84 VS Fender Precision plus 90

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nopalfunk, Dec 11, 2012.

1. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

Hi there, I have a doubt, I'm an owner of a Fender Precision plus (PJ pickups) 89's, sounds great, but I saw on a local store a Ibanez Musician Bass, I heard it's a good bass, very versatile, my question is: would be a good Idea change it for my Fender?

And yes I know! The eternal answer will be, apples and orange, totally different monsters....my style of playing is from funk to jazz, from stoner to blues....If I play a good line of bass and could add a fuzz or delay I'm ok, If some day I want to play my generation and other day I want to play something very pop, I don't have any problem...I'm not married with some style in particular, I'm free

My question is simple, There's no a good reason for change my bass, but I think I have the same issue that the most bass players have! try and have a lot of basses.

I always think: This bass could fit better that my actual bass? Maybe I can't find my dream bass yet...so here I am...

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

If it's at the local store, go try it out! Try as many different basses as you can, in fact. But whenever possible try BEFORE you buy

3. kjpollo

kjpollo

DEFINITELY try it out. Ibanez was turning out some GREAT stuff back then and the Musician was one of their high-end models.
    But keep in mind- it probably wont sound like your P-bass.
    Only YOU can decide if you like what you hear-but definitely try it out.
    And see if the shop will let you put it on layaway or something like that where you pay it off over time. Then you can keep your P-bass and have a second bass available for when you want a change of pace.

4. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

thanks, i'll ask to the owner about it, it's a online store, but it's in my city, so i think there will be no problem to schedule a meeting and try. And only for the record, keep in mind that the pick ups of my fender are Lace Sensors...so it's not 100% accurate the sound of an american precision...i think

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Which model Musician is it? If it's the MC924 with the 3-band EQ, those are superb basses. As much as I like the Fender Precision Plus model, the MC924, in my opinion, is a superior instrument.

7. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

That's a 924, alright. Awesome bass. They tend to be a little on the heavy side, but other than that it's superb. (I own two of them) What does the seller want for a price?

9. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

He want my "Fender precision plus", and some cash...maybe 250 dlls...what do you think? my fender are in good shape, some scratches and dings...the freets have some wear, but not affect the sound, maybe will be a good idea change them in a future, the neck has some wear in the finish, because it's of mapple...but regarding electronics and neck, everything it's perfect...

10. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

someone out there who has owned this same ibanez? I saw that both basses have the same configuration, PJ pickups

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

That's crazy. That particular model of Ibanez Musician, great bass though it is, is only worth around $500. Your Fender is worth MORE than that. Quite a bit more! No way should you make that trade. He should make the trade and give YOU $250!

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

These are mine. Awesome basses in every way. IMO a better bass than the Precision Plus. But the value of these is still lower than a Precision +

[​IMG]

13. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

great! thanks for your help! was very helpful really! I'll keep my Fender, unless he give me some cash...but I don't think so...

14. nopalfunk

nopalfunk

and Yes, he didn't want to make the trade, he asking some cash, so will be in other ocation...

15. Saniscander

Saniscander

Here in Mx the sellers are usually crazy, tney don't know what they have and they want to sell it like it's gold, I bought my Musician from a pawn shop, it's pretty beaten up but it only cost me $200 bucks, I've own many P-basses around my life and my MC924 runs over them any day of the week. It's pretty rare to find a Musician here in Mx, too bad you couldn't make the deal.