Ibanez Musician owners I need some help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by substitute, Feb 24, 2013.

1. substitute

substitute Supporting Member

Hey folks, I have a problematic Ibanez Musician. The onboard electronics have been replaced with a bertolini pre-amp. But something is wrong, the bass is really noisy, with or without the active electronics engaged. If I try using a fuzz pedal instant feedback. It's like it's missing a noise suppressor cap, or other low pass filter circuit.

So, if any one else has one stock and can help me reverse engineer the electronics I would appreciate SOOOOO much. I can't find any info online.

Thanks so much!

2. substitute

I'm gonna bump this a few times so it doesn't get buried.

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Don't know why anyone would replace the stock Musician electronics with a Bart pre-amp, but....

Bartolini is a quality outfit, so it's almost surely not the electronics themselves. It's almost 100% chance that the person who installed the Bart pre-amp botched the job. What is the model of the pre-amp? If you have that, you can find the wiring diagram on line.

4. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Hi substitute,

my experience with circuits on basses and guitars:
    if it's not working correctly - chop it out, and start installing it new from the beginning.
    Very often there is a fail in it because someone made it too fast.

As smcd said: Bartolini is a high quality product, should work fine.

Greetz

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. substitute

I don't have the bass in front of me, and of course I forget the exact model # of the preamp. I'll swing by my practice space after work and grab it. I'm pretty sure the problem is not the Bartolini too, but pulling it out and starting from scratch is a good idea.