Ibanez necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chili Bo Billy, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Chili Bo Billy

Chili Bo Billy

Is there any truth to the rumour that Ibanez necks twist more often than other guitars due to their thin necks?
    Just asking because I'm interested in their 5 and 6 string models.
    please set me straight on this issue.
  2. masonsjax

masonsjax

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Nope, not as far as I know ;) See, it could have happened at some older basses, years ago, but all basses can have these kind of things. Luthiers learn more and more, with each day going by.

So it wouldn't suprise me that maybe some Spector or Warwick basses had necks that twisted.

Ibanez has become a builder of high quality basses with their new SR Prestige and Premium lines, so some other lines have become better too ;)
  4. Chili Bo Billy

Chili Bo Billy

That is good to hear!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chili Bo Billy

Chili Bo Billy

I found the bass I tried today to be quite light. I believe it was a premium line bass 4 string
  7. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Disclosures:
    Sales Representative for Zane Guitars.
    I've owned 6 Ibanez Soundgear basses and still own 3. 2 of them I have owned for almost 20 years now and in that time I have never had a single problem with any of them. In fact, my 94' and 95' SR 500's, have never even had to have a truss rod adjustment on them. Actually, I take that back. 1 did about 2 years ago but it was not the basses fault. It was in my house that is climate controlled and where I had it stored at, my kids left a door open when it was below 0 outside and the neck needed just a slight adjustment on the 95'.
  8. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Nope. The necks on my Ws used to twist more than the SR necks...so under normal conditions, you should have no problems at all.
  9. Chili Bo Billy

Chili Bo Billy

Thanks guys!!
  10. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I've been an Ibanez guy since the mid 80's, and have never seen it.
  11. El-Bob

El-Bob

It doesn't seem to be a common issue in any basses as far as I know, although if you are super concerned about it you could get a balanced string set.
  12. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm a Fender guy, but I will tell you, Ibanez makes quality products in every single way. These are some of the best "bang for the buck" musical instruments I've ever encountered. I bought an SR700 for my wife about two years ago, and have never regretted it.

That thing looks, sounds and plays very well, and we haul it all over the place.
  13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I've owned probably a dozen sr series 5ers, and the only one that didn't have an extremely stable neck - it's neck was a little "whippy"... The rest were all rock solid, despite being thin and narrow - probably due to being multi-laminated... I currently have an sr905, and it's a great bass...

IMO/IME, a used sr505 is one of the best values on the market...

- georgestrings
  14. Dave Bassincus

Dave Bassincus

I had a Soundgear I bought at Manny's in 1988, and if I was too active, the neck would bend ��
  15. KeiBau

KeiBau

Chili Bo Billy addresses Ibanez necks in general and the responses have been toward the Soundgear series. I have a BTB405 and it's neck has been very stable. But, the BTB doesn't have a thin neck. I've never played a Soungear so can't make a comparison.
  16. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Well nothing wrong with that ;) It was a importnant thing for Ibanez, to make the Premium line (and Prestige line) light, so it would play very smooth, while standing.
  17. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Like any bass, it depends on how well it was made. Even high end basses can have shifty necks. Maybe not as often, but it does happen.

My own personal experience is hit and miss with Ibanez. In the mid 90s, I had a TR50, SR 405 and SR 406, all of which were really solid basses and never had any issue with them. Around 2000 I bought a used (it was produced in July 97 ) SR 300 as a beater bass and the neck on that is very, very solid. However, I briefly also had an SR 305 a few years ago that was utter junk (returned it for a refund) and an ATK 300 that, while it sounded pretty cool, had to have frequent neck adjustments and had several dead spots too. My SRX 500 I didn't have problems with, persay, but I didn't play it very often as it never "grew" on me and I sold it just a few months after buying it. The ATK has also been sold. The ATK was the last Ibanez I bought. It's been my -personal- experience that their stuff made in the 90s was of a bit higher quality than their recent stuff, at least lower end-wise. Or I might have just gotten really unlucky... but all the Ibanez basses I've bought in the past 8ish years weren't good enough to justify me trying to get another one or particularly wanting any more Ibanez basses in the future. YYMV.
  18. KingRazor

KingRazor

8 out of 10 Ibanez 5 strings sound and feel great, the other 2 out of 10 have crappy B strings that can't seem to be fixed without a lot of work.

I was unlucky with my first Ibby, it was an SR405QM and the B string would rattle and buzz regardless of which strings I used and regardless of who set it up. I eventually gave the bass away.

But, I play 505s and 605s at guitar shops all the time that play and sound fantastic. So if I were you I'd try one before you buy one, and if it sounds and plays good in the shop it'll probably continue to do so.
  19. Chili Bo Billy

Chili Bo Billy

Are the premium line and the prestige line part of the sound gear series, or a line totally separate?
  20. Nobody

Nobody

The Premium and Prestige lines have SRs and ATKs.

The SRs will all have the thin neck which isn't a problem since all but the bottom of the line ones have multi-laminate necks that are very stable.

The ATKs have a thicker neck and are a more "traditional" bass.

I have an SRX which has a slightly thicker neck than the SRs and it is very stable and comfortable. I've been very pleased with Ibanez quality.
  21. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

...because the only Ibbys with "thin" necks (IMO that's how a neck should be..but whatever) are the SRs. The other series / models have chunkier and / or wider necks.

Anyway, back on topic: Premium and Prestige do feature instruments with the same name as the ones from their regular series, but the quality is at a different level - think of it as 4 and 5 stars basses. Premiums have top notch electronics and superior woods, while the Prestige basses have no problem going head to head against more expensive instruments and / or boutique basses. Thing is: the regular series offer so much bang for the buck that for the average player there's no need to upgrade to Premiums/Prestiges to get a good quality instrument.