Ibanez Phat Hed or ElectroHarmonix Big Muff?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Urban777, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Urban777

Urban777

Obviously I'm guna go try them both in shops, but I was wondering which pedal others preferred, and what genre you guys play.

Hopefully I'll get some good info here too, reliability?

2. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

They are quite different pedals, as the Ibanez is an OD/Distortion, while the EHX is a fuzz.

I would suggest performing a search, as both these pedals have been discussed quite extensively here (especially the Bass Big Muff).

3. FreaqyFrequency

FreaqyFrequency

Depends on what tone you're after. If you want MUSE, both. If you want let's say something like Ben Folds Five, Big Muff. If you want any kind of 90s grunge tone, Phat Hed.

4. Fetzu

Fetzu

I like the Ibanez PD-7. It has that 90s sound to my ears also. I usually run it either OD or Dist into a MXR Bass DI with the color button on. Funny, but I have been asked "What fuzz am I using" a few times with that combo.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

I've used both pedals before and I decided to keep with the Big Muff. It's all down to preference, as stated, the pedals are completely different.

I found that by tweaking around with the Phat Hed, you can get a nice grindy sound, which could be used in Industrial Metal say.

The Big Muff however can be tweaked to give growling fuzz, but can also give you Chris W's tone (Muse) and if combined with a Wah pedal, can also get you close to Cliff Burton's tone (Metallica).

It's all down to what you like. Give them both a try and see how you like them. They can both be used in different ways.

7. PawleeP

PawleeP

r ya'llz referring to a bass big muff?

8. honotron

honotron

I had a PD7, i loved the tone, as others have mentioned its a very 'muse like' distortion,
    the biggest problem with it is hiss, it is VERY noisy bad enough that i sold it.

9. Toptube

Toptube

I like the PD7. an especially cool feature it has is the two stage transient attack switch. The pedal also retains a big full low-end, if you want it. Especially nice, because the transient switch sucks your lows, but you can just add them back!

Its only weakness is that it isn't very subtle. Both effects start at a fairly strong level. But, its pretty great for what it is.

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

If you're looking for an overdrive/distortion type sound, the Ibanez phat-hed would be a good choice for that. but if you're more of a fuzz guy, the electro-harmonix big muff would be right up your alley.

11. Precision345

Precision345 Supporting Member

I use them both linked together. Muff before the ibanez. Sounds great. The te switch in the phat hed will wear out fast though as mine did within a month of having it