1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez RB960 1985 Anyone love this bass as much as me ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pimmsley, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

IMG_0255.jpg

Attached Files:

2. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

I picked up an '84 RB850 not too long ago. Similiar bass from the same era. Mine is beat to crap, but I got it in the orginal case for next to nothing. Even beat up it is an amazing bass, the neck is super comfortable and it has two massive humbuckers with coil taps from the factory. For a passive bass it has a surprising amount of tonal versatility.

I have Warwicks, a Lakland and a Spector (soon 2), amongst others, and this bass more than holds it's own with them. I am getting ready to strip it and refinish it because it deserves it. The early thru mid 80's Ibanez stuff is amazing. They can be had for a song. Sooner or later more people will figure it out, although there are a number of guys here that already have.

Very nice bass, BTW.
  3. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Oh thanks man... so cool to hear another loves the neck and tonal variety... I'm sure our basses are similar in 'bark and bite', crazy slap sounds... and it sure does hold it's own against some of my more exotic basses...
    I also have the case, been gigged hard, bashed around, carried multiple basses, been rained on, stickered half to death and still has that new case smell.. lol

Cheers !
  4. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

LOL! Mine has been stickered to death too, But it most definately has that old instrument case, musty smell! Great basses!
  5. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I think you could do a coffe table picture book on guitar/bass cases ;)

anyone else ?
  6. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

LOVE IT!!
  7. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

Looks like a classy classic. What's up with the butterfly?

[​IMG]
  8. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Ha ha... a 'special friend' left that there one night, and it just kinda fit, so it stayed... she was obsessed with butterfly's to the point of being a bit weird... oh the people you meet !

I ended up playing this bass for about 3 hours last night after posting this... lol... the joy of re-discovery of an instrument you have !
  9. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

anyone else like this bass ?
  10. 8liter

8liter

I absolutely love the look of these basses. I've been wanting one, but they are hard to come by.
  11. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

And it has so many usable sounds between the two pickups... Great bass.
  12. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

I picked one up recently and I really like it. It reminds me very much of my MC-800 in how it feels to play.
  13. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Awesome ! :D

Not played an MC-800 but glad you like it too.

Recently put Fender flats on mine and have a whole new bunch of sounds coming out of it for kicks...

Still one of the best slap sounds I have heard with rounds and both pups cranked, fresh strings also seem to last forever on that bass... great pups, great bass.
  14. drunem2010

drunem2010

That is a verry nice bass. I 'didn't know about the RB960.
    My bass got almost the same looks.
    I have a un-pimpt RB924 i don't like sunburst but the sounds are verry warm and sweet.

[​IMG]
  15. bolophonic

bolophonic

Looks like an awesome bass.
  16. paddydaddyo

paddydaddyo

I dug those '80s Ibanez basses. They were sort of Rickenbacker looking, but with their own unique tone. I had a RS924 years ago. Great neck. Enjoy!
  17. PeOiler

PeOiler

I have the same RB960. So does a friend of mine. Both of us use them as a back-up. I've considered letting mine go before, but it seems that is is worth more to me than the actual value.