1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez RD-727

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Jun 9, 2007.

1. plastik-bass[?]

plastik-bass[?]

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1990/roadbass.jpg

what do you guys think about this bass. there is 1 at this used music store near my house, only place, i cant find 1....not even ebay has 1:eek:

how much you think 1 of these could sell for...i think the ppl that are selling are selling it for lower then its worth even though it has a few dings
  2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

old school :)

Other than that I dont have a thing to say, never played one
  3. Beta

Beta

The neck is thin (front to back), but a little wider than the neck on my SB900. The nut width is the same, but the RD neck is 3-3.5mm wider at the 21st or 22nd fret.

I don't much care for Basswood bodies because they dent so easliy.

Play it. If you buy it, you might want to have the frets looked at to be sure they're all level and seated properly.
  4. Aarix

Aarix

Ugh lee

I bet it sounds even worse than it looks too, judging by a similar era Ibanez EX that I once had the displeasure of owning.
  5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Cant compare the two EX series were entry level instruments
  6. Dee_01

Dee_01

Indeed. EX = Korean cheapies. The RD727 was a decent Japanese-built bass.

BTW, hi ibanezcollector, it's Dee from over at Jemsite.
  7. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

My friends brother has one but never, ever plays it. We got trashed one night while I cleaned it up and restrung it with DR Hi Beams. Looked nice afterwards and played great. It was made in japan and feels solid. The basswood is light but I like that when I hang out there and jam on it. I am usually drinking some beers and don't want to struggle with a heavy beast. Most people won't like it just because of the metal looks but who cares? I can't say what they are worth but if it is reasonable then go for it. It is fun and comfortable to play.
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

As people said, very '80s in design but I can see it working medium-to-low-strung played pickstyle in a Hard Rock/Metal band. It's been years since I played one (at the time, it was a choice between the 707 and an SR-800, in which I chose the SR and never looked back) but from what I remember it was Japanese-made (very well), had close to the typical thin Ibanez neck, and sounded very nice with a pick.

If I came across one now I'd likely swap out the OEM pickups for most likely EMGs or Basslines with an active preamp - I remember getting close to the classic "Spector grind" from the passive P/Js alone and think that an electronic swap would only improve the tone. If it's selling for much less than you think it should be, I'd go for it provided you're a fan of the SR-type neck. Even not counting that, it falls into the "oddity" category and I doubt you would get hosed should you decide to resell it. I believe the Shark's Tooth inlays in the 727 were made in much less quantity than the 707 so also count them as a plus.

One thing my old-school SR-800 had which to this day I think was a great "invention" and should be revived is the "Accu-Cast B IV" Bridge, in which all the saddles rested on a master plate that had the same radius as the fretboard, could be raised/lower with 3 allen wrenches, and made setups a great deal easier and quicker because of it. This bass doesn't have it, but it was introduced soon after and is an "missed innovation" I always think of when Ibanez basses of the early '90s are discussed.
  9. Dee_01

Dee_01

It's like a bass equivalent of the Ibanez RG guitar, and the RG5xx series and higher are amazing (my main 6-stringers for the last 20 years, actually).

I have a friend who owned a 727 for a short time and it was very enjoyable to play. I recorded a few things with it, including slap style, which it covered very well. Very thin neck, very fast to fly up and down the fretboard.

I like the old RD's, they were great basses, but they don't sell for much these days. I would still take this 90's MIJ bass over a lot of the junk that's around nowadays. Back then, they were good, solid mid-price basses. List price on the 727 was around $750.
  10. plastik-bass[?]

plastik-bass[?]

the store selling 1 near my house is selling one for $250...should i jump on it??
  11. Dee_01

Dee_01

If it's in good condition, maybe. Play it, see if you like it, then decide.
  12. The Eristic

The Eristic

My 707 has a great, growly midrange and plays wonderfully, though the uber-skinny neck starts to bug my wrist after a while. $250 isn't an incredible deal, but would certainly be fair if it's in decent shape (provided, of course, that you like it!). It'd be a nice, lightweight workhorse to have around.
  13. cockaroot73

cockaroot73

I've owned this bass for about 20 years. If you find one I'd buy it. It came out about the same time as the SR basses. They only made it for one maybe two years. It has that metal hair band look so they stopped making it cuz thats when the hair metal bands died and the SR series sky rocketed. It's just an amazing bass. I have left this bass day after day in my car in 100 degree heat before high school jazz band. Then after high school i played some where around 500 gigs with it in bar bands. Then it stayed in it's case for about five years. I pulled it out one day and it was still in tune and the neck is still as straight as the day I bought it. Not one turn has ever been made on the truss rod. Now for the not so good. Tone, not great, alitttle muddy, neck a little wierd cuz it's thin as hell, and the paint chips alot cuz the bass wood body is very very soft. But if your going to be playing for 4 hours a night after work in a bar this is a great bass. It almost weightless and is effortless to play