1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ibanez roadster bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DADGUITARD, Feb 4, 2013.

1. DADGUITARD

DADGUITARD

thinking of getting a ibanez roadstar and want too know your opinions on the bass is it worth 800 aus dollars:help:

[​IMG]

2. DADGUITARD

DADGUITARD

thanks for the help

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    People may ask "Which model?" and I don't know of the rarity of them in Australia...

But none of their models are worth that much in USD ($826), so I'd say no.

4. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

They are really nice basses. I've got a Roadstar RB850 that I'll be posting to the classifieds pretty soon. Love it, but it doesn't get played. 800 aus seems pretty high, they go for somewhere around half of that here (US of A), but local markets can be quite different.

I'll risk a engaging in some shameless self-promotion here; PM me if you want to discuss a possible purchase. I've never shipped Down Under before, and I expect it would be expensive, but it could be worth looking into.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dalkowski

dalkowski

^^^ I used to rock one o' them!

Need more specifics re model # and year, but I'll venture that AUS$800 (US$825) is roughly three times what that bass is worth.

That's not to say it's a bad bass (or that there aren't Ibbies worth that kind of money), but seller is asking WAY too much for a Roadster/Roadstar.

7. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Those are like $200 basses in the states...

8. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

One of these? 84' Roadstar II RB850. It was made in Japan, and has some powerful pickups for the day.
    I've seen them on eBay for around $250 - $300 USD.

[​IMG]

9. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Are they worth AUD$800? It's what the market will bear. If you after one, they are rare now, but if you are not chances are you can snag them for a song. Are they sonically and play-ably worth AUD$800? You bet. They are great basses, quite underated as they tend to get linked with 80s fashion. If you don;t care about that then sonically they very good, though 80's OB electronics can a bit dated and noisy, particularly if you are talking about the RS924 or MC924. The passive ones are great, and the RB850 came in a variety of electronic packages. I have had the Blazer - precursor to the Roadster/Roadstar, the MC924 and still have the RS924, RB850 low impedance basses. Australia I have found is less prone to fashion of the instrument you play, and also Australia is a seller's market if you don't need the money. Prices for basses on the used market are at the extremes, either they go cheaply or the seller holds on to some ridiculous price and waits for a fool to commit... and they do turn up if you wait long enough.