1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez Roadsters/Blazers vs Fender Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Margus Alviste, Aug 30, 2013.

?

Wich one you prefer?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2013.
  1. Ibanez Roadster/Blazer

27.7%
  2. Fender Precision

72.3%
  1. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

I've got a question: those of you who own or have played both - the older Ibanez Roadsters or Blazers and Fender Precisions, which one would you prefer playability and sound wise?

I've got an '80 Ibanez Roadster RS824 and it plays and sounds better than my 63 and 78 Precision (which I sold). It also records better than both the Fenders.
    Even the wood of the Roadster feels (vibrates) better than the Sadowsky and Fodera basses I had. :eek:
  2. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I voted for the P bass, but if you have a Roadster that sounds and plays that well, then congrats. Problem I had with them is they seem to be hit and miss with tones and playability. (but then so can Fender). Play what feels and sounds best to your ears and hands. (Shoot even Mr. Lynott played both of those basses back and forth at times.)
  3. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

I own 2 Roadster 924s and have played Precision. I like the flexibility of 2 pickups and the electronics on the 924 better than a 1 pickup Precision. The necks seem pretty similar, although I love having easy access to the really high frets.

The bridge is great, love the slot loading rather than threading them through.

I really like the P/J combo on most basses....

My vote is for the Ibanez. I've never played the Blazers which are a more direct competitor to the Precision. No experience with them.
  4. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

I love the Roadster's neck! It feels more slicker than P-neck and it has 24 frets.
  5. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Just got a Road star since for a minute the people I'm playing with were talking about playing out.

Thankfully that passed.

This bass is purple and While I haven't set it up yet plays good and sound good.

It was also cheaper than a Fender in that shipped it was less the 3 beans. And every Pbass I've owned I get tired of the wide neck. I like this neck better that the Ps I remember

I'll still get a p one day
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The Roadster without a doubt. Vastly superior instrument in my opinion, especially compared to Fenders from the same era.
    More comfortable, often 24 frets and a sound to die for if you're into that low rumble.
    They sometimes are a bit heavy though.
  7. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

Love the old Ibanez basses.
    They got SO much of the Precision/Jazz tone in an easier to play package.
  8. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I have a Blazer, and idk if ill ever need another p-style. tone and playability are great, and quality hardware to boot.