Ibanez RS824 - wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Margus Alviste, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Hi folks! I just got an 80 Ibanez Roadster RS824. Wow, what an instrument it is! I have had all the high end basses one can name and this little Ibby smokes them all out! It's loaded with EMGs but the original white pickups are included. The wood is absolutely resonant being very light. All the notes can be felt in your chest as soon as your finger touches the strings. I own a 62 and a 78 original Fender Jazz basses but this Ibby plays and sounds even better. Just amazing!
    And what's even more attractive - the prices are extremely low for those early Ibanez basses. Do yourself a favour and buy one before the prices go up.
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Nice :) Can you show some pictures?
  3. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

I'll try to do that later today!
  4. TinIndian

TinIndian

I know what you mean about the early 80's model Ibanez basses. I recently picked up a beat up a '84 RB850 in the original case for next to nothing. Needs alot of help but it's all there and everything works. It'll be a good project. I brought it to my last gig and it plays and sounds spectacularily! It's passive but has 2 huge humbuckers with coil taps. Only weighs 7.5lbs.

After getting this one I think I am going to look for a MC924.
  5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Back in the day I had an MC924 (Musician) and it was a KILLER bass- WAY ahead of its time with the features- it was a fairly inexpensive neck thru build and it featured a bypassable preamp as standard equipment!!
    Then at the NE GTG a couple weekends ago, one of the guys brought in an early 80's Roadstar and I got to play it. Lordy there's some magic in those old Ibby's for sure!!!
  6. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

BTW, I have had a chance to play an old Ibby (350 EUR) against my Fodera NYC (4500 EUR) and perhaps it's difficult to believe but the Ibby won in every aspect except the preamp. :) So I have sold my Fodera and bought an 80 RS824. :) The one I bought is loaded with EMGs which I don't like so much. Luckily I have the original white ones included so I can swap them soon. And I even played with an idea to try the Fralins and Sadowsky onboard pre.
  7. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Here's one quick shot...

Attached Files:

8. Standalone

Standalone

Wait until you play one with the original Dimarzio pickups.

I'd like to see more photos! I have an '81 RS924 that I will never get rid of. Bought in London as a college kid (thanks, dad, for wiring me money!) Seriously, when they sell off all my stuff and put me out to pasture in the old folks home, they'd better put it on a stand next to my bed...!

I think that '78-81 was Ibanez' best era.
  9. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Here's more...

Attached Files:

10. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

EMGs somehow lack of dynamics and the G-string sounds a bit thin. But the wood is SOOOO good! Better than any other bass I have had. And I have had 62, 69, 69, 80, 84 Jazzes, 63 and 78 Precision, 79 Sting Ray, MTD 535s, Foderas, Nogueras, Nordstrands, Pedullas, Alembics, Sadowskys etc.
  11. TinIndian

TinIndian

WOW! That's beautiful!
  12. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

13. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Nice I have a RS924 lefty and had a MC924 lefty. They are great basses. The RS series generally gets traded for little money but the MC924 commands a decent value for what they are.

The original electronics are noisy, and if it were my only bass I too would fit EMGs. Had a lefty Ibanez Roadster with EMG Ps (put one in and installed another in the bridge position) .... it was my main studio recording bass for years in the 80s and 90s.
  14. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Anybody has RS824 or 924? Would you share the pics?
    There's a beautiful Flame Maple top and also back on my Roadster. I haven't seen the Flame Maple back so far. Anybody knows if it's usual for the stock model or kind of option they offered?
  15. Standalone

Standalone

[​IMG]

RS 924. Only photos I have.... That's me below, and my bass on a scale above. Scale ain't that accurate, but 10lbs is about right.

[​IMG]

The one below is not mine, but precisely the same bass. The color is "TR" -- Trans Red. Ash body, Maple neck.

[​IMG]

The family catalog shot of the era. The middle one is a "Studio"..:

[​IMG]
  16. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Was yours re-topped? Take the back cover off and the pickups off and you might be able to tell. AFAIK the 824s came with a mahogony body and the 924 came with an Ash one. I don't recall them putting figured wood caps or tops until the RB series.

I was looking at yours and thinking I re-top mine with a nice figured wood.
  17. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Thanks!
    I don't think it's re-topped. I'll try to open the control cavity later in the evening to check the wood combo. The body is very light though, doesn't feel like a solid Figured Maple nor Ash.
  18. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

OK, I opened the control cavity and yes, it's Mahogany topped from both sides with gorgeous Flame Maple. I must say that it's the most resonant body I have ever touched in my life!

Attached Files:

19. wilfred

wilfred