Ibanez SGR400 Action Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shanabit, Nov 29, 2013.

1. shanabit

shanabit

Im using 45,65,80,100 gauge Ernie Ball round wounds.

IF I set the truss to factory spec, I cant lower the saddles enough to make the action as low as I need since they are at the bottom of their adjustment.

IF I adjust the truss to straighten the neck out, I have to then raise the saddles which puts the action right back up to TOO HIGH .

What is the secret here? I want them low as possible without buzz and fretting out

Thanks guys

2. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Sounds like you need to shim the neck.

3. shanabit

shanabit

Im a newbie, how does one go about that?

4. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Neck shimming 101. Loosen the strings (very loose) Take the screws out of the back of the neck that attach it to the body of the guitar and remove the neck. Take a business card and cut it the width of the neck pocket and about 1/2 inch wide. Place card in the neck pocket as close to the pickups as possible without overhanging the neck itself. (Most neck pockets are a pretty snug fit so overhang is usually not a problem.) Stick the neck back in place and replace the plate and the screws. At this point , you only want the screws snug , not super tight. Tighten the strings about halfway to being in tune and sight down the neck to be sure the strings are in the center of the neck. If they are not , a little pressure on either side of the neck should cure this. When the strings are where you want them , fully tighten the neck to the body of the guitar. Tune the guitar and do a basic setup. If this doesn't get the strings where you want them , you may need to repeat the process and add a second shim. Hope this helps.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shanabit

shanabit

thanks, will do

7. shanabit

shanabit

All skimmed up and nowhere to go LOL. I used a business card about an inch wide and fit it to the neck pocket. Worked great, I now have saddle height adjustment and the action is lower now. 2nd shim was too much BTW

8. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Methinks a level/recrown is in order. It'll cost you, but you don't get exquisite action for nothing.