1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez Sound Gear Gio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by foxxiroxx, Jan 10, 2013.

1. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Does anyone else have one?

I got mine as a gift - great little bass - except - it requires a 9V battery to run an optional chorus effect. However - it needs the 9V - even if you aren't using the built in effect.

Well no problem you might be thinking, right?

Problem is - it doesn't like any old 9V - it likes 7 year smoke dectector lithiums. I have no idea how long the battery stays good for either, makes me very hesitant to play it.

Anyone else having this problem?
  2. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Uhm..the battery is not for an effect, it's for the onboard EQ. That's why without one it won't make any sound.

The battery usually holds for months (and even for 1 year+) - IF: you use a good brand battery and you UNPLUG it after each playing session - if you keep a cord plugged in, it will drain the battery.

When the battery goes eventually bad, it won't die all of a sudden: the tone will get muddier, distorted, then volume loss will occur until slowly fading out. You will have plenty of time to replace the battery. If you're still paranoid about it, just keep a fresh one in the bass case.

HOWEVER if you see the battery going dead in a matter of days or a couple of weeks (in spite of following my previous suggestions) then the bass has probably a faulty EQ or maybe the input connector is stuck in "IN" position (as if the instrument cord would be plugged in).
  3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I highly doubt it needs lithium 9Vs. The thing is, since 9Vs are one of those batteries that don't get used as much as regular AA or AAAs, they tend to sit on the shelf longer slowly depleting their charge, and that goes double for comparatively expensive brands such as Duracells. Not to point fingers or pimp brands, but if you find Phillips, Toshiba or GP batteries, I've used all those with great success and they last up to a year.
  4. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Mine is an enjoyable bass. Its 4 years old and all original, factory strings and I assume the battery is too. Bought it from a kid who hardly used it.

With any active it is wise to unplug after use. This may be your problem. Also turn down your active knob after use. I cant imagine this bass running thru batteries like that. Possibly a faulty connection somewhere draining off battery power? But im no electronics expert.
  5. gr8avocado

gr8avocado

As others have said the 9v is used to power the preamp in the bass. I'm guessing it has passive pickups and the active preamp. The 9v in my active bass in still going strong after 9mo of near daily use. Just make sure you unplug the cord from the bass when you're not using it and it should last you a good while. If the battery is dying very quickly you have an electronics problem.
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84

Smoke detectors use typical 9V batteries. If yours has something else, then someone's probably rewired it. -_-
  7. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Thanks everyone - alright - that makes more sense. A brief search I did had said it was for the built in effect.... onboard eq makes more sense.

I had tried fresh batteries (at least, freshest I could find) in popular brands.

Good to know that it might work off of something that doesn't cost $9 a hit. lol.

Oh and to answer awilkie84 - yes I know smoke decectors use 9v - but there's a variety of 9V out there that is supposed to last like ....7 years..... so you don't have to change 'em yearly, they also cost around $9 x 1 .

Alright good to know that I won't have to pry the battery out of it after every hour of play , like I was fearing.

Thanks everyone!