1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ibanez soundgear?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMoley, Mar 24, 2014.

1. BassMoley

BassMoley

I got an ibanez soundgear bass for Christmas, I'm fairly sure it's an sr500 but I could be another model similar to it. Regardless, I'm not too happy with it. The neck and body feel great, really nice and smooth and just all around great feeling, but the fret buzz on my bass is horrendous. It's so bad I hardly ever plug it in the amp would just be rumbling a deep zzzzzz sound. It's not me I've played on other basses without any issues. It's mostly on the E string, every single fret on that string is more buzz than note but the other strings buzz too, not nearly as much but still more than it should. I'm sure some people who read this will have the same bass, so what do you think about it? Any problems with it?

2. gpx1200

gpx1200

have you ever had the bass set up,.. as in have you had the neck and bridge adjusted for good playing action without fret buzz, because all basses need ocasional adjustment to maintain proper action.
    find a good teck in your area and have it setup, ive had four soundgear basses and theyr awsome

3. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

4. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

Yes, I wouldn't blame the bass. They are very good basses. I'm sure your bass just needs a setup. Could be a simple fix like raising bridge saddles, or perhaps a truss rod adjustment (more likely both).

Worst case is some fretwork, or even neck shimming (but I seriously doubt that). Learning how to do simple setups on your own basses is an invaluable (and easy to learn) skill, you'll use forever. And knowing how to do it yourself will allow you to set it up exactly how YOU want it, not how the tech wants it (which may be entirely different).

If you've never done it before take it to someone and ask if you can watch them do it and ask a lot of questions. You should learn it anyway...might as well start now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JH Statts

JH Statts

Another vote for a good setup. Great basses, IME.