Ibanez SR 1205 / Warwick thumb bolt

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowdown3, Jan 1, 2013.

1. lowdown3

lowdown3 Supporting Member

I am looking at buying a new bass and trying to decide on the Warwick thumb Bolt or the Ibanez SR1205 Premium, I played both and like both....Can anyone tell me or give me some advice on them....

2. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz Supporting Member

since you played them both, take pros and cons from both and see which outweighs the other. if it were me, the thumb because i dont like the ibanez necks. and i like the thumbs concave body. does the ibby have the curved body?

3. lowdown3

Thats the thing the Ibanez has a smooooth body as well and they both play well and sound good.

4. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz Supporting Member

imo, since im a fat body, i like the curved body basses. and i like the sound of the thumb more than ibanez. not knocking ibanez because they make some great basses, but i just dont care for their sound. i have yet to play a thumb, but want to really bad. i love their sound. did you play with a strap? ive heard thumbs tend to dive a little.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aussietc

aussietc

+1
    Try playing with a strap. Neck dive can be a deal breaker.

7. hags2k

hags2k

I love, love, love warwick, but in this particular case I think it's a tougher call. The ibanez with the nordstrand pickups is a really versatile bass that doesn't sound like any other ibanez bass I've ever heard. I like warwick's beefier neck profile a bit more, but ibanez bodies are lightweight and at the top tier when it comes to comfort, in my opinion. The thumb looks cooler, though, and I really don't care for the gold hardware on the ibanez.

Tough call.

8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

The only real answer here is to go play them again and jot down every pro and con you have about each bass. Spend some quality time with both of them. A/B them if you really want. Only you can decide which bass guitar is better for you.

9. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Soundwise they're not far apart (as weird as it might seem). Ibby SRT905DX can get fairly close to that Thumb tone as well.

Comfort & feel: my vote goes to Ibanez. I've played & owned Wicks (including Thumb BO) and the weight & balance of a SR is unbeatable. Thumbs were designed to be strapped high and have a natural tendency so stay in a horizontal position (if they're 5ers/6ers - add neckdive to that). The body (expecially the new models) is very small - if you're a big buy (weight aside), get ready to look a bit...ridiculous :) But in the same time it's a heavy bass (SRs are lighter).

IMO the Thumb has a more natural (call it "woody") voice with more note clarity, but the SR Premium tone is growlier & thicker (meaty).

My 2 cents, anyway...

10. lowdown3

I am not to crazy about the Gold Hardware as well....But I could live with it....

11. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I love and own both Warwick and Ibanez basses. I think you would be happy with either.

One thing to consider... Do you plan on selling this instrument at any point? Warwicks pretty much hold their value, whereas Ibanez values tend to drop off rapidly. This is good news if you're interested in a used Ibanez because you can get a great used instrument at a rather low price.

12. lowdown3

No I did not mention the music I am playing is more of a funk-Jazz style like "Down to the bone" ---"Tony Remy & Bluey" and what have you. And Iam also looking into buying a new amp,,,,So I want the bass to go good with the amp..
    Iam looking toward the Eden or Genz Benz -

13. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

owning a SR1206 I can say its one of the most versatile basses I've ever owned. Many basses have wide tonal ranges but at certain points loose sound quality or consistency with in that range span. The Ibby SR1200 series (or 1400series) with the Nordy's maintains excellent sound quality whether your soloing the neck or bridge pups, or any combo in between. VERY comfortable, minimal neck dive (even for a 6 string).

I never owned a Warwick because I personally found them uncomfortable . . tend to be heavy, neck dive, and a 2x4 neck feel. But others love them. So really its to each his own.

By the way there's a SR1405 for sale in TB classifieds. For $900 you can't go wrong.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/ibanez-sr-1405-premium-sale-944857/