1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Ibanez SR 405

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would like some feedback on this bass. I local pawnshop has one for next to nothing. It was made in Korea, has a three piece maple neck, and soap bars of uncertain origin. I liked the way it played and sounded. I want to know in particular if it comes well shielded and is fairly buzz free?

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Yesteryear's lower level Ibby that is probably above many of todays lower and mid level ibby's.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. love my ibanez sr 305, they are great man! o recommend you get one!

5. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    It's a good quality ibanez. Electronics and pups usually sound good in those, ibanez has a handle on that. They have been doing actives for years and aren't known for poor electronics.

6. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

Sep 12, 2012
    Depends on just how cheap. The 405 is clearly one of Ibanez's lower end basses, but they are very well built. I think the SR505 is a substantial upgrade and it doesn't usually cost much more. Don't hesitate to jump on this one if it's super cheap, though.

7. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Actually the 405 is where the line starts to get good. It's not a prestige, but it's not a gio either. Also one of the only maple bodied SR's so it has a tone all it's own. Good thing is like most SR's resale is cheap. They usually go for about 250 used in good shape.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed - I've owned and gigged both, and this is pretty much what I was going to post...

- georgestrings

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The pawn shop is selling it for $149. That is why I am interested.

10. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Gold Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Solid basses. As with many Ibanez basses the electronics are a crap shoot. But are probably ok.

For that price probably a solid backup bass. As others have pointed out a little more $ gets you a SR500 but if you like the maple the 405 has go for it.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    As long as there's nothing wrong with it, you can't go wrong at that price - well worth that, IMO/IME...

- georgestrings

12. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

agreed. Had an SR400 a few years back and it is a solid bass for the price point. at $150 how can you not buy it.

13. Excellent deal for an excellent bass. Go for it!

14. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    I have a MIK SR-405, and I couldn't sell it for what "I" think its worth. Plays great, it does get a little "buzz" if you crank up the treble boost.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If the buzz is not bad without the treble dimed, I don't mind.