Ibanez SR 5 string - new or used?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LAG, Jan 29, 2014.

1. LAG

LAG Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Fan: Green bay Packers
    I'm looking at buying an SR series 5 banger. Is there a vintage or year of build that is better then another?

Or are new models the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Other than 'higher-the-number, better-the-quality' (usually), they're consistently good.
    Sometimes, tho, body wood may be the only difference between model higher/lower numbers.
    Sometimes older/newer versions of the same model number use completely different woods/ pickups/ preamps.
    For example older SR505's were all maple, active pickups, and had mid-sweep in preamp, while new SR505's are (mostly) mahogany body, more than one neck avail, passive Barts, slap/switch in preamp.
    All depends what you're looking for.
    Browse this catalog archive:
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/index.html

3. LAG

LAG Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Fan: Green bay Packers
    Cool. That is a good resource.

From your experience, which soap bar pickups do you like?

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Well, I haven't swapped any out for comparison, but usually like the 'split-inside' soapbars, reverse 'P', for the narrow aperture clarity and no single coil noise. I haven't used the Barts in the SR series, so, no opinion on them.
    A good EQ gives Ibanez older 'split-inside' soapbars good versatility, but haven't seen the need to change out the 3 band w/mid sweep in an older SR506. Also, string choice makes a huge difference, and sometimes it takes a few sets to find what works best on a particular bass.
    I also like the alnico humbuckers on the SRX705's.
    2-band EQ is alright on them, also.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. larrygs

larrygs Supporting Member

I have a Ibanez SR505, the old model without the mid switch, so I made modifications (it comes standard with Bartolini licensed Korean MK1 pickups and MK1 preamp), installed a Bartolini NTMB-918F preamp (5.4 configuration) , added the mid-freq switch and recently installed the Bartolini MK5 pickups, now is like a new bass, I can recommend those Bartolini pickups over the standard MK1s, make a real difference in tone.