1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez SR 5 string - new or used?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LAG, Jan 29, 2014.

1. LAG

LAG

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Fan: Green bay Packers
    I'm looking at buying an SR series 5 banger. Is there a vintage or year of build that is better then another?

Or are new models the way to go?

Thanks in advance.
  2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Other than 'higher-the-number, better-the-quality' (usually), they're consistently good.
    Sometimes, tho, body wood may be the only difference between model higher/lower numbers.
    Sometimes older/newer versions of the same model number use completely different woods/ pickups/ preamps.
    For example older SR505's were all maple, active pickups, and had mid-sweep in preamp, while new SR505's are (mostly) mahogany body, more than one neck avail, passive Barts, slap/switch in preamp.
    All depends what you're looking for.
    Browse this catalog archive:
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/index.html
  3. LAG

LAG

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Fan: Green bay Packers
    Cool. That is a good resource.

From your experience, which soap bar pickups do you like?
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Well, I haven't swapped any out for comparison, but usually like the 'split-inside' soapbars, reverse 'P', for the narrow aperture clarity and no single coil noise. I haven't used the Barts in the SR series, so, no opinion on them.
    A good EQ gives Ibanez older 'split-inside' soapbars good versatility, but haven't seen the need to change out the 3 band w/mid sweep in an older SR506. Also, string choice makes a huge difference, and sometimes it takes a few sets to find what works best on a particular bass.
    I also like the alnico humbuckers on the SRX705's.
    2-band EQ is alright on them, also.
  5. larrygs

larrygs Supporting Member

I have a Ibanez SR505, the old model without the mid switch, so I made modifications (it comes standard with Bartolini licensed Korean MK1 pickups and MK1 preamp), installed a Bartolini NTMB-918F preamp (5.4 configuration) , added the mid-freq switch and recently installed the Bartolini MK5 pickups, now is like a new bass, I can recommend those Bartolini pickups over the standard MK1s, make a real difference in tone.