1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez SR 505 or BTB 675 for used equip.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BboogieXVII, Sep 8, 2013.

1. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

I'm really interested in getting a used 5 string and these two Ibanez models seem to be going for around not too much cash used.

Does anyone have experience with both of these models? I'm getting the feeling that if it's much better at all, I should save the extra cash up and go for a used BTB 675. Someone just sold one wicked cheap on craigslist in my area, but unfortunately I missed it.
  2. awilkie84

awilkie84

BTB 675, IMO. It's a little heavier, but MUCH more versatile in sound and the B string doesn't suck. The SR 505 is clanky as all hell!
  3. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

it looks like there's two different versions for them both. the older ones without the mid-switch and the newer ones with the mid switch. apparently they both have the same preamp but different pickups. other differences are the sr505 has a 34" scale and is a bolt-on compared to the btb675 which is a neck-thru with a 35" scale and then different woods as well. is there any way you can go try these out locally? knowing how they both feel and which features are more important to you and your needs as a player will help you make a more informed decision, IMHO.
  4. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

The BTB has a 35 inch scale, so the low B is probably quite a bit better, never played a 35 inch scale before but could probably adjust.

Right, trying them out is probably the way to go, there are local sellers with one of each currently. I know a guy who plays an older 505 with flats and uses a pick in a jazz band, he sounds great on it even while using the pick. I'm not sure I would ever want to use flat wound or a pick ever so I wouldn't be after his sound at all. He never seems to have a problem with the B string sounding floppy either but then again his strings are set a LOT higher than I would ever set mine.
  5. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

My first 5 was a 505. It is an OK bass but I'd go with the BTB given the choice. The 505 is kind of flimsy to be honest. I still have mine but I let my son play it. You could also consider a used Schecter .... ;)
  6. bassmalone4

bassmalone4

I've played a SR505. The bubinga wood they use for the neck sounds funny to me.

The BTB's are usually very nice.