Ibanez SR 886 details?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Roy Vogt, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Once again I am playing Santa and setting up this bass with new strings and adjustments for a friend who is giving this to their son for Christmas. It's a SDGR model made in Japan with long wood covered pickups instead of the normal Ibanez soapbars. It does play and sound nice. Any ideas as to the back story on this model and when it was made?

ForumRunner_20121214_094326.png

ForumRunner_20121214_094411.png

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Google tells me the 886 was produced from 91-93, available in black, red or blue. I am guessing yours is black from the pics but it might be a really dark blue.

That is all I can tell you, I am sure there are some Ibanez fans that can tell you a little more.

Old Ibanez Catalogs

3. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I can vouch for this bass. I have my SR885 from 1992 and it still sounds great! I still remember placing the order & the music store giving me the catalogue to look at while I was waiting for my bass to arrive. Here's another website that posts copies of old catalogues.

Fun to look at old catalogues. Sort of forgot the John Petrucci used to endorse Ibanez. Reb Beach had a really cool guitar, but I haven't seen any around.

Here is the 1992 catalogue.
    http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1992/index.htm

Specifically, here are the Soundgear pages, displaying specs for models SR800, SR885, SR886.
    http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1992/sdgr.jpg
    http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1992/sdgr_2.jpg

4. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Thanks guys! I had a feeling it was an early 90s bass. Seems pretty solid and I'm able to set it up very well. It was a steal at $300 and the kid doesn't even know he's getting it-it's a total surprise and what he wants dearly, so I'm psyched to be a part of this cool gift and making sure it looks great and plays like buttah!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

The child's first bass will be a 6-string. Get 'em started early. You have a virtuoso in the making.

7. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    He's actually a former student and is very able on a 5 string but borrowed one of my 6es to cover a Dirty Loops tune in a music camp I teach at. I think you're right-he'll have no problem on a 6.:bassist:

8. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Geez, between your thread here and the madbassplaya/DaveOnBass thread, it warms my heart to read about stories of pure kindness these days.

9. Standalone

Standalone

Jealous! I saw that f/s thread. Looks like an awesome bass.

10. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I had a 93' SR885 with the Vari Mid EQ - great sounding bass ... now I miss it.

Ibanez Rules is a great Ibby info site ... used it many times.

11. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    BTW, thanks for the links to Ibanez Rules, guys! I printed out the catalog pages and included them with the bass in the hard case along with a note that I had put Carvin strings on it and set it up to my personal specs. BTW, this beast sounds and plays great! I'm looking forward to hearing what he does with it!:bassist: