1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez SR 905 the Sleeper Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomana, Jun 17, 2012.

1. tomana

tomana

in 1978 I was right about my SG and Les Paul Black Beauty Custom, when I told folks they would be worth thousands one day. I have the same outlook for the Ibanez SR 905 ...

here it is June 2012 and I just did a search at ebay and Guitar center nationally and not one 905 is posted. I've been monitoring ebay for months now and saw only one 905 get posted and it sold ... fast.

If you have a SR 905 in good or better condition hang on to it and wait for the economy to improve so folks have $$$ to spend and I bet a very good to excellent will get $800 easy. The current replacement for the SR 905 is the Ibanez SRT705DX which has mahogany body sides, not figured maple, and it sells New for a grand after tax and/or shipping costs.

If I had to sell now, I wouldn't take less than $600 period, otherwise I'll just be giving it away, like I did my SG and Les Paul years ago :crying:

Anyone else feel the same way about the SR 905 ?
  2. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I could see how someone could come to that conclusion - my sr905 is the only Ibanez 5er I still have out of atleast a dozen... it's just too good to flip... Here's a pic with it next to an sr3005 I no longer have:

[​IMG]
  3. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

You can get a SRT 750 for close to $800. I rather have the EMG DCs than the MK1s. They shouldn't have discontinued them though. Should have offered them at the same time, just different choices.
  4. THE DANiMAL

THE DANiMAL Supporting Member

Recently sold my 905 for $550 so I could buy an 1998 SR5005. Not regretting it at all.
  5. cb56

cb56

I think Ibanez soundgear basses are very underappreciated. I have an SR505 that I just love!
  6. tomana

tomana

:hyper:

the SR5005 has a bolt on neck :bag:
  7. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

What's wrong with bolt on.
  8. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ibanez
    First 5 string I ever owned, Great Bass!
  9. tomana

tomana

nothing's wrong with a bolt-on neck, different design. Some say neck thru has more sustain but I can't hear it. The cheaper, low end guitars are almost always bolt-on because it's cheaper to produce and a bolt-on joint is definately weaker than a neck-thru and yet, Fender Strats have always been bolt-ons :bassist:
  10. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

I still cannot find a trade worthy of my SR905. I guess when something fits/sounds/plays just right, no matter what it costs, it's a keeper.
    These 905's are far superior to some of the prestige models, you just need an electronics swap.