1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ibanez SR bridge problem! really common?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Nov 26, 2013.

1. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

I have had FOUR bass player friends call me explaining that their bridge has "bent" and it wont hold the string's ball-end anymore!!

Started hearing about it an year back! X guy calls me asking what he should do about it, he sent pics showing this. ill try to find those pictures for this thread! anyway i asked him to mail ibanez with the serial number, pics, proof of purchase etc. his bass was fairly new and ibanez did ship him a bridge it all took a month or so! sr705 it was!

then another bass player in the city, lets call him Y, said his 506 bridge wont hold down the string! i knew the story already so i told him to email ibanez but he has not heard back after sending in multiple emails!

then i heard someone else in another city also is facing the SAME issue on his 505!!

after that JUST YESTERDAY i got another call explaining the same issue!! now am a little :confused::confused::mad::mad:
    sr506 bass this time!!

ill try to put up pics! is this common with the newer lot of SR basses?
    i have other friends who have SR basses and they are all OK! so am wondering if it was one particular lot!?

i heard about it from all of these guys because i help out bass players fix up tweak minor issues or find them tech's to work with! so there goes!
  2. Freightshaker

Freightshaker

It seems common enough that the company should replace them for free even after the year warranty. I paid about 50 for my replacement. That and I've never seen a 50X that didn't need fretwork. It's the hidden cost of owning these.

Attached Files:

3. srvlives4evr

srvlives4evr Supporting Member

I recently had to replace mine for the exact same reason, the ball end would pop out. The retainer finally broke off, but I got a replacement fairly quickly and effortlessly through my dealer. Warrenty or not, I was not the original owner.
  4. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

You just cant get one here in India with out a lot of pain, waiting, customs fee and missed gigs or borrowing hassles! just plain sucks! Ibanez probably knows the case with that batch(es) of basses which went out with poor quality bridges!
  5. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker Gold Supporting Member

This! And this is also the reason I generally buy most any Ibby used. Now to be clear, I'm a huge Ibby fan, and I own quite a few, but generally I have to modify/fix/upgrade them if I'm going to use them live or in studio. Fortunately for used Ibanez buyers, they don't hold their resale value at all. When I can buy SR9XX and lower series basses (players, not "collectors pieces" for around $200 or less, then the math really works out well. Buying used Ibby's seems to be my part time job!! lololol
  6. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

The current models have a new (redesigned) bridge. So that may have something to do with it. My newest SR is a 2010 model so I can't tell if the new bridge is different in any way (although the guys at Ibanez say it is) but I've never heard of such problems regarding the older models.

But who buys new Ibbys (except for me) anyway? :) Buy used, enjoy an awesome bass for the price of a fancy dinner ;)
  7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yup. My SR506 cost me just a bit over $200 used. I like it so much better than the new ones. I really hate that brown look. Mine just plain old black paint. Plus I'm looking at the bridge. It's nice and heavy (like what some call "high mass") and is like the new ones except it's not top loading which I guess makes all the difference with reliability. My strings are never coming loose! Sometimes newer isn't better! I love this SR506 Ibby. Positively a killer bass.
  8. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

My 2010 SR600 has the traditional B20 bridge (which I like better than the new one), and my 2012 SR705 has the new B305 bridge, but I haven't noticed any problems.

Oh, and IngerAlb; I buy new ones too ... I wouldn't have it any other way! Especially because of the mid freq switch, and new(er) EQ, body contours, and that slick new slide-open truss rod cover. It's a total win! :bassist:
  9. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

I had this happen on a pre-owned SR-375M, manufacture dated from 2011. I may have over looked it at the store at the time of purchase - not really high on the list of things to look for typically. In any case, I obtained a replacement Ibanez bridge for it (from a local Ibanez dealer) and the new one is doing just fine for many months now.

Seems like a bad batch of bridges somewhere in the recent past with Ibanez - it happens, and warranties cover that sort of thing. Mine happened to be pre-owned, but things happen from time to time with any manufacturer. I had zero reservations buying a brand new SR-705 a couple months after buying this pre-owned SR-375M. They are both outstanding instruments.

The pics below shows the "A" string retainer on the bridge lifting. I removed the bridge from the body and bent it back down to shape, but it just lifted right up again after tuning up to tension - hence the replacement.

[​IMG]
  10. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

I know, I know ;)

As for the bridge issue, looking at stingray69's photo I can see that now the strings sit differently in this "redesigned" bridge so I can understand why such problems could/would happen... hmm.
  11. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

any recommendations on drop in replacements which dont involve drilling or filling holes into the bass?
  12. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Is a real difference between those in the sound;
    Such that it is worth twice the price?

I know the spec differences between them and i ask you because i gonna bye one of them.The store in my town have only one SR305.

Thanks in advance:)
  13. stingray69

Yes, I find the SR705 a little more modern sounding - maybe due to the more complex composition of layered body woods used & the use of Bartolini pickups. There is more top end with the SR705 & more solidness & clarity in the tone in general IMO. I feel the fretwork is better on the SR705 as well.

The construction/fit/overall feel of the instrument is definitely noticeable when you play the two side by side. The SR-375M feels (and is) a great instrument, the SR-705 feels a little more well built and resides even further into the modern tone range. All of these things are IMO, YMMV of course. The best advice as always stands true - if you have the opportunity to play them side by side, always do. I love the feel & tone of them both & play them in equal amounts of time. However, IMO, the SR705 feels like the better built instrument of the two and the price is justified IMO. :cool:
  14. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Thank you very much my friend.:smug:
    I am really appreciate you kindness!!!
  15. stingray69

No problem - best of luck choosing the best model for your needs! I love both models and either are a great, solid choice. Either would serve you well! :cool:
  16. HOSHINOUSA

HOSHINOUSA

Disclosures:
    Customer Service Manager, Ibanez / Hoshino USA Inc.
    Hi everyone! Jay here from Ibanez. I just wanted to reach out and state that if any of you own a 5 or 6 string Soundgear (300-800 series) with the B125, B126, B305, or B306 bridges and you are experiencing this issue, please contact us at customerservice@hoshinousa.com with your model number and serial number, and we will determine if your bass qualifies for a replacement bridge.

The replacements are almost identical. When compared side-by-side, you will notice additional material reinforcing the retainer bars. Otherwise, they are identical.

Thanks for choosing Ibanez!
  17. TheBluePhoenix

TheBluePhoenix

It’s good to know that this is a known problem in case it happens to me. That type of bridge design has always been a bit odd to me. I understand having the open slots so you can more easily remove and install the strings but it should not compromise the strength of the bridge and its ability to hold the ball ends in place.
  18. JustForSport

JustForSport

Some of (prob just a few) of the early Ibanez SR's- 506's and 505's had the bridge bend up just past the screws over time. Most were fine, it seems, as you usually only hear about the others. Some of the Hohner B Bass VI bridges (from same Korean Cort factory, and same dimensions) did the same. Likely just an occasional bad batch of casting mat'l, which can happen, and is undetectable when new.
    I just replaced them with individual string bridges.
    Really nice of HOSHINOUSA to come by and address it, too.
  19. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Thanks Jay for the info.:)

I find a picture of a sr705 with reinforced screws in the bridge.Is this for the new 2014 model? http://www.session.de/IBANEZ-SR-705-TK.html
  20. lesliegl

lesliegl

Hi ive been using a SR800A from 1997 with B20 bridge with no probs..the main area I can see on the bridge that's pictured is that it doesn't have screws in the rear of the bridge right next to spaces for the strings to top load..that must be weakest area in the metal causing it deform when the tension of the strings are applied to it

Leslie