1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ibanez sr1200/1400e or fender jazz/p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_Aaron, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Bass_Aaron

Bass_Aaron

I've been looking to upgrade my bass for awhile now, but I'm torn on what to get. I've played a couple p basses and a jazz bass or two and liked them but I've never gotten to play the Ibanez (no shops in my area ever have them in stock). It seems like the Ibanez has a lot of tone control which is a huge plus, but I've never heard anything really negative about P or Jazz basses. Some help from people with experience would be extremely appreciated.

2. tbear1776

tbear1776

I have been thinking along the same lines regarding a new bass. I went with the Ibanez because of the more tone you mention and the fact that the Ibanez has a smaller neck (to me) and hence easier and more comfortable to play. Good sounds whichever way you go.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I would take a Fender any day over pretty much anything, especially an Ibanez. Ibanez basses and I don't get along.

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

This. At the end of the day and in this price range, the Ibanez electronics aren't really giving you any kind of benefit. I would base your decision on playability and upgrade the tone (if needed) from there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StevieMac

StevieMac

sr1200/1400e are pretty nice basses IMO but are very different from Fenders.

Do you prefer the vintage sound of Fenders or the more modern sound of the Ibanez?

Ibanez SRs have very thin necks. Some people love that and other don't.

7. jojoslap

jojoslap

I have a Jazz, P Bass and Ibanez SR1206. If it wasn't for having 6 strings I think I would prefer my two Fenders over the Ibanez as my main bass, but really they are so different it's hard to compare. It comes down to a traditional Fender tone or a more modern tone with the Ibanez. Originally I bought an Ibanez SR800, but after a few days I didn't like it so I exchanged it for a Fender American Standard Jazz, I was very happy with that decision. The premium is far better constructed than the lower SRs and the Norstrand pups sound much better than the Barts. For me the SRs just feels too thin with 4 strings, with 6 strings they feel awesome. I would try to play both if you can, that's the real test, but my opinion is for a 4 string go with a Fender, if you want to expand to a 5 or 6 string go with the SR1205 or 1206.

8. Mikio

Mikio

Too different, I think. I'd go with the Fender for the ease of use (sits in the mix well all of the time, less knobs, good sound right out of the box, less frets).

In other words: Ibbies can be wonderful, but they require more work than a Fender

9. Guinness20

Guinness20