Ibanez SR1205E 5-String Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EZ9R, Jun 16, 2011.

1. EZ9R

EZ9R

I just played the Ibanez SR1205E 5-String Electric Bass with the Nordstrand Big Singles and Nordstrand preamp and must say, it sounds pretty darn good. It's Indonesian made so it runs around a grand. Well built, but the Nordy's really make a difference.
    Unknown.jpeg

2. Chansey

Chansey

Hmmm...the specs on the site indicate that the the pre-amp is not Nordstrand...but Ibanez proprietary electronics? Regardless, I have heard plenty of good things about these basses...tempting!

3. EZ9R

EZ9R

Yeah.... The specs say EQB-IIISC made for Nordstrand pickups. It felt well built. How do you feel about Indonesian made Ibanez compared to the Japanese that are in the similar price range?

4. LilloEsquilo

LilloEsquilo Banned

Well I felt good enough to order one it's supposed to arrive Tuesday.

I've seen some Indonesian basses and in years past it seems they clearly were not as well made as Korean basses, but lately what I've seen of them they seem of equal quality. So I'm really not worried about that. This bass just seems killer for the money.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rugrat

rugrat

The only thing keeping me from ordering one is the gold hardware. I bet the finish rubs off quickly.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I doubt it. That gold can last a very long time.

8. rugrat

rugrat

I hope your right, these really have caught my interest. I've been looking at the 1405.

9. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

I just bought the SR1200 and it sounds killer, well worth the money.

10. rugrat

rugrat

Hmmmm....... you guys are killing me! Lol!

11. Electric Druid

Electric Druid

it depends on playing style too, if you do a lot of palm muting the finish on the saddles and bridge can come off pretty quick, that happened to me on my Spector.

That Ibanez model definately looks interesting, I'd like to try one out.

12. tazthewonderdog

tazthewonderdog

Awwww man.... If only I wasn't broke!

13. dorkybass

dorkybass

hey I was wondering, does anyone know if this bass will still work with the battery pulled in preamp bypass mode?

14. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

It should because apparently the switch makes it go right from the pickups out. I will try it tonight. I just got the 1205 and it is amazing. As good as any custom bass I have tried. Its mainly the pickups that make the bass. But the sr neck has a good feel to it which makes it very easy to play. I like the pickups tone so much I usually use it with the eq off and just the bridge pickup. It has that snarly jazz tone but with a lot more balls and low end.
    :bassist:

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    This bass is killer. Likely the next bass I buy.

Not for those that like wide spacing on 5ers though.

Looks great, plays great and sounds great.

The only negative for me is getting my head around paying $1000 for an Indonesian bass!

16. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Trust me don't worry about it being made in indonisia. Its worth every penny. For the exact same thing made in usa or canada you would be looking at $2000 plus. To buy the pickups only would cost you $300 plus shipping and tax.

17. shewhorn

shewhorn

Did something change recently? I was looking at the 1205e on Ibanez's website and it says "Made by Ibanez Premium Factory, USA".

Cheers, Joe

18. KingRazor

KingRazor

IMO The SR505 is just as good as the 1205e. Played em side by side and didn't feel that the 1205 was better built at all (certainly not worse, though).

19. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

IMO there's a distinct difference between those 2 - both in tone & finish: the Premium has a thicker tone with a better sounding B and it's way growlier (although I play with a pick and that might have something to do with it). But the SR50X is still probably the best bang for the buck from the entire SR line - I just love it ;)

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I don't agree, but that is how you feel, save your money!:bassist:

21. shewhorn

shewhorn

Re: the post you were responding to about build quality of the 505 vs. the 1205... I suppose it depends upon how you define "build quality". I think quality of the build on both basses are very high but more importantly, Ibanez seems to have high tolerances and solid quality control so from a playability perspective if you gave two of them to a tech and had them set up identically I don't think you're going to find much appreciable difference in the playability.

If you look at the significant differences you have wenge vs. jatoba for the neck. Both incorporate mahogany for the body but the 1205 uses Ovangkol for the top, and then the 1205 has a better bridge and different pickups and the addition of an EQ bypass which is a very nice feature.

If one's primary concern is playability then I can see someone saying that the 1205 is not worth the extra $$$. If however aesthetics and sound quality are also an influencing purchasing decision then the 1205 does offer more value over the 505.

I'm actually debating getting a 5 string right now and interestingly enough it's down to the 505, 605, or the 1205. There's A LOT of things influencing my decision. Playability is not one of them, I'd be happy with any of those basses in terms of how they play so with that out of the way:

1) I want something that sounds different than my SR700. If I'm going to have a 2nd bass, I want to have a bit more versatility (I know... I could consider a different brand but I have a few repetitive stress injuries and I've found the Ibanez basses suit my particular needs best).

2) Aesthetics. Bass is actually a new-ish instrument for me (I've done piano and I've attempted drums, guitar, trombone, and trumpet/flugelhorn). For kids, the advice I usually give (if you know they'll stick with it) is to move beyond a student instrument and get something with better playability but... I'm 38 and I know for me personally that there is a very definite psychological effect associated with playing an utterly beautiful instrument. It makes me want to practice more. Sometimes I find myself stopping just to admire the wood finish on my SR700, it's just gorgeous! The 1205 is [AUSTIN_POWERS] dead sexy [/AUSTIN_POWERS].

So for those reasons I'd be willing to shell out more for it but at the same time, I can still agree with KingRazor's comment or at least see where they're coming from.

Cheers, Joe