1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ibanez sr1300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike20, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Mike20

Mike20

Hey Guys, I;m new to this forum and I need some help. I have an Ibanes gsr200 and I am looking to upgrade. I have the opportunity to buy an Ibanez sr1300 with a hard case for around $280 dollars. Does anyone have anyone have any experience with this bass? As far as I know they stopped making them in the 90's?

I live in South Africa so the price comparison is a little skewed. A Fender squire vintage modified bass costs about $800.

I also can buy a Fender squire p bass for around the same price, and an Aria pro ii for around $100. I play in a melodic rock band so that is why is why I was leaning toward the Ibanez.

I would really appreciate any info you have for me.

Thanx guys

2. mr.black

mr.black

thats a GREAT deal as long as nothing (serious) is wrong with it. jump on it!

3. NZBassman

NZBassman

I had an Ibanez TR Expressionist Active / Passive sunburst. It was a great bass, very easy to play, but after 7 years I decided to look around for something newer and tried a few basses – I ended up buying a Fender squire vintage modified 4 String Natural Jazz.

I can’t believe how good this bass is – plays like it has been my bass all along. Great tone and looks cool too!

I play in a rock covers band and our guitarist said it sounds ‘mean’.

I didn’t like the feel of some of the newer Ibanez basses – too light and most had 24 frets which I didn’t need.

You need to choose a bass that feels and plays good for what you want to do – regardless of brand.

Good luck!

4. StevieMac

StevieMac

Great deal, buy it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

I agree - get the Sr1300 if it really is $280!

7. Mike20

Mike20

Thanx guys, that's what I thought.

I haven't had a chance to thoroughly play the thing. And my only concern is that because it was last made in the 90's, so would i have to replace the pick up's and electronics?

I haven't modified a bass yet so i'm a bit hesistant.

Anyway thanx for all the replies. Really appreciate it.

8. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

There's basses out there that are way more old and don't need any upgrades. For that price, it's a great deal. But like said before, try it out first and see how it plays and if everything's in order.

9. Reddog01

Reddog01

At $280, you could afford to replace the electronics and still come out ahead!

10. mr.black

mr.black

if its 90's it either has the "Dimarzio" ibanez IBZ pickups which are active and awesome!!!
    or the EMG's which still sound like all EMG's from now back to the beginning of time.

11. Mike20

Mike20

Thanx everyone for all the replies. If i like the way it plays then I'm gna get it :) You guys put my mind to rest about the electronics

12. panther9209

panther9209

Bought one in the early 90's and it is still my main bass. The neck is awesome. You can really dig in and bring out the tone of the woods (bubinga /wenge). I still have the stock pick-ups. When I bought it, I had it narrowed down between a Modulus and the SR1300. The Modulus had about 10% better response and sustain but it was over twice the price......so the SR1300 is a no brainer especially at that price !