Ibanez sr250/sr255

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crystalman85, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Has anyone ever try out these basses? they do seem to resemble the older Ibanez soundgear basses from the early 2000s, only they have a 3-band eq control. also they have nato bodies. nato wood is considered to be related to mahogany. I am familiar with nato necks because the arbor musicman clone I once had has a nato neck. nato bodies seems kinda interesting. well anyways, here are the basses.

Ibanez sr250
    Ibanez.com | Basses | SR250

Ibanez sr255
    Ibanez.com | Basses | SR255

What I like to know is are they decent bass guitars?

2. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

These are new models. We'll have to wait a bit more until some reviews pop up ;)

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Yeah true...they are new models. although I am kinda curious about it. that's why I asked.

4. Cazzah

Cazzah

I've played the SR250 when I was looking for a new bass, and I personally loved it
    The neck is thinner, which allows for faster playing. The body is also really light compared to what I've been playing, I kinda may have almost smashed it into a drum stand nearby because I didn't expect it to be so light. the 3band EQ gives a decent range of tone and is pretty useful :)

Overall, a light bass that's fast to play and sounds brilliant. Well made, even if it may feel like you might break it. Amazing for the price :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Okay...so it is a decent bass after all. thanks for letting me know.

7. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Tell me about it :) Those basses look smokin' hot ;) I'd so buy a pair of 5ers (both red & white) and upgrade the electronics, but alas, these are not available in EU (darn).

8. Relayer71

Relayer71

I don't see the point with the SR300 still around and they already have the entry level GSR line. Do you need a model at every $50 price point? What's next? An SR200 and SR350? The SR370 was cool because it was offered in a unique (for Ibanez) sunburst finish.

They should just come up with a completely new body style and offer that at a low price.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

@IngerAlb yeah those basses look pretty cool. and the basses look pretty cool in red. it's a shame that the 5-string version doesn't come in blue. if it did, I totally would buy it. but I don't mind buying it in red because I do like red colored bass guitars. I'm pretty sure that the Ibanez sr250/sr255 will be released in Europe eventually. many certain basses that are released in america will be available in Europe later on. usually a few months later.

@Relayer71 I understand that you're saying that the lower leveled Ibanez soundgear basses is becoming the new Ibanez gsr basses. but you really can't judge a book by it's covers. you might be surprised that they might be pretty decent. some people do dig these basses. some people don't. it's all about personal taste in sound quality.

10. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

@Crystalman85: I hope you're right, but usually the models that are available in US can't be imported in EU. Maybe my local dealer will be able to special order some, but ftm I'm hunting for a 705 or maybe another 505, so we'll see...

@Relayer71: For some folks that 50$ difference might be important - some can afford to spend thousands on a bass, others only a few bucks. That aside, here's how I see it:
    - the difference between SR30X and 50X is significant tonewise (not to mention between a GIO 20X and a medium - high end SR). The 50X is one of their best selling basses and probably the best bang for the buck from their entire regular SR line. Except for the 60X, the current SRs have a mahogany body with a jatoba/bubinga neck. Exotic hard woods that add to the price tag.
    - now here's the challenge: how do you manage to offer all that for half the price? The answer is the nato wood - also called "eastern mahogany". My guess (since I haven't played one of these yet) is that these new models sound way closer to a SR than a GIO. So you get roughly the same type of tone with a bit of extra bling yum (black hardware, matching headstocks, etc).

Take a look at a GIO 20X - you can instantly tell the hardware looks cheap; however the 25Xs look sharp and seem to have the vibe of their '80s - '90s models - they certainly don't look like a 200$ bass - at least not to me. In fact these look better than a SR50X with that freakin' "poop brown" finish :)

PS: it takes a few years of playing a "poop brown" SR to understand why a vivid colour scheme makes all the difference ;)

11. Relayer71

Relayer71

I wasn't judging the bass at all, merely pointing out that Ibanez already has an excess of SKUs and there isn't much new ground being covered with these new ones.

I think the SR300 is already a great bargain (I had one for a bit) - these are $299 but can regularly be picked up for $240 on sale at GC. If you want to go lower than that, which is already pretty low, get the GSR.

Anyway, my main point was they just have way too many Soundgear models and if they wanted to offer a $250 bass, they should have just designed a new body.

Maybe a slightly undersized ATK with the SR body contours and thinner SR neck, and a regular basic bridge. That would actually be pretty awesome.

12. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

IMO ATKs are ugly; and they feel bulky compared to a SR. Even downsized and with a slimmer neck, it won't be a SR. The SR line was designed with a specific purpose in mind and for players with particular preferences. I for ex will NEVER buy a "SR" that doesn't look & feel like one.

13. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

The sr255 does look sharp and sleek. and the sr505 may have a poop brown finish, but it certainly doesn't sound like poop. that's one thing for sure. it has a totally awesome sound. too bad it didn't come in different colors. that would of been cool. would like to see the sr505 in black. or blue or maybe a dark red color like black cherry.

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I see what you mean. some people like them. some people don't. it's really about preference when it come to buying certain Ibanez basses.

15. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Exactly ;) Luckily mine has more of a red tint rather than brown :)

I've seen a SR500 in black sold in EU as SR520 - identical to any SR500, but with a black stain finish; very cool looking bass ;)

16. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Disclosures:
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    I bought a BTB 700 DX in dark cherry yesterday, and I am absolutely floored....

This is the bass I have been searching for my whole career.

And its a four string for god sakes! (I'm a 5 string guy)

I was gassing for SR's for the last few months and bought 300's as well as a new SR Premium.

Needless to say, I've been gassing around for the 250's as well.... Probably only because they are "NEW".

Any one want to buy a premium or a new 375bbt? lol

17. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Heh, congratz, man ;) I bet it feels good to finally find "the one" ;)

18. Relayer71

Relayer71

That's why downsized and contoured would, IMO look and feel good. The ATK body itself is cool, it's just too jumbo sized. Slimmer, smaller and with a smaller headstock and SR type slim neck and different bridge, could work at that lower price point.

And I know it won't be an SR - that was my whole point, they could use a new style at the low end how they added new styles at the high end (Grooveline, SR Premium (slightly different thanks to new pickups and body woods)). The just have way too many SRs. But don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with these new SR250s.

19. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

I find the ATK ugly looking because of the classic type look. I don't dig it aethetically a bit.

I get what you're saying, but on one hand SR is their flagship line so it's normal to invest most of their effort into it, and on the other hand there are low end models in most other lines. And cheap is cheap: no matter the design, the low end basses will still feel & sound miles apart from their big brothers.

20. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Now that you've mention it, I have seen a black colored Ibanez soundgear bass on a youtube clip that's says to be an older Ibanez sr505. but according to the comments, it's a different Ibanez soundgear bass. they say it's an Ibanez sr885. honestly, I'm not quite sure what it really is, but it does sound pretty cool. here's the clip.

Ibanez SR505 Bass - YouTube

Of course, I was under the impression that the Ibanez sr505 is always in a brown finish.

21. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Honestly, I've been kinda curious about the Ibanez sr250 and the Ibanez sr255 because it has a nato body. not once I've own a bass that has a nato body, but I have owned a bass that has a nato neck. plus I would assume the 3-band eq has decent flexibility. honestly, I would like to try it out. I'll bet it sounded pretty cool.