Ibanez SR300 knob removal

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MarshallNole, Dec 14, 2013.

1. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

I bought my SR300 used so I have no manual. The one I looked up online doesn't tell how to remove the knobs.

My treble/bass knob appears to be dirty. When you adjust it you get static. There are small holes in the knob, but it looks round. What type of screwdriver loosens these so you can clean them out?
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

It requires a small allen key to loosen the knob.

The static crackling problem lies in the potentiometer though, and while people claim miracles with de-oxit and other magic lubes, IME usually the only way to get the scratchiness to go away for any significant amount of time is to either replace the potentiometer with a better quality one, or to dis-assemble it for better and more accurate cleaning result.

When I started out in the mid 80's, I too tried every imaginable band-aid method to rejuvenate scratchy pots, but abandoned that practice very early on.

Regards
    Sam
  3. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

Where do I get said allen key?
  4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

The best place to get just the small ones for making bridge adjustments and for knobs and such is Your local music store.

Some hardware stores may carry the small ones as well, but usually You have to buy the whole set.

Regards
    Sam
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Go at it from the back of the potentiometer. There is a square or round hole or indentation on every potentiometer. Spray a bit of contact cleaner in there. Wipe off the excess, and turn the pot back and forth and back and forth until the scratchiness goes away. You shouldn't need to remove the knob that goes on the pot in order to get to the back of it.
  7. JustForSport

JustForSport

^^^ Yeah, Radio Shack Contact/ Control Cleaner has cleaned many pots, removing the requirement of replacement. It's also a good thing to have on hand for when you discover a 'starting to get scratchy' pot and have no time for replacement.

edit- no affiliation w/ Radio Shack ;)
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

No affiliation here either, but I also use the Radio Shack brand. It just works well on all potentiometers (stereo equipment, basses, etc.)