Ibanez SR300 won't stay in tune ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Just bought a new SR300 from GC about 4 weeks ago and this bass will not stay in tune for more than 3 or 4 songs (not good during live gigging)

I do the BEAD tuning as I do with ALL my bass's but that shouldn't matter,,, I've been doing the BEAD thing for over 20 years and have never had a problem with staying in tune ever with any other bass.

I've tried different strings, already took it to my repair guy and he did a neck adjust and tightened down the tuners but the bass still will not stay in tune.

So I'm guessing I'm going to have to put new tuners on my new bass that is now past the 30 day GC return window,,,,, unless anyone has any better ideas what the problem could be.

Are the SR300's known to be bad or good with staying in tune ?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers
    Davyo

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi Davyo.

Not the same bass, but my 80's SR800 does stay in tune with both EADG and BEAD tunings.

Sure, the neck is flexible and did require some getting used to, but it doesn't go out of tune permanently.

A sticky nut would be IME the first to check, I used to have odd tuning problems before switching to GraphTech and metals back in the day.

Regards
    Sam

3. Davyo

A sticky nut I shall check for,,,,, I hadn't really thought about that so thanks Sam.

Perhaps a bit more file'ing of the nut is needed to accommodate the BEAD strings,,,,, I've never had a nut issue with all my other bass's I've modded for my BEAD strings/tuning before but this could be a first.

Cheers
    Davyo

4. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

I have an SR400 that does not stay in tune. It's not terrible, but enough to feel I have to check it often.

It was worse when it was tuned EADG, but seems to hold the tuning longer tuned BEAD (which is where I keep it now).

I'm finding this really is a neck issue. Doesn't matter how well setup the bass is. These necks are really thin and small and long. Mine seems to just be very prone to moving with the weather.

Does your go out of tune across all strings or only one or two? Because if it's ALL strings, then it's the neck moving. It would be quite odd that if the neck didn't shift (and it doesn't take much to make it go sharp or flat) all the strings would be out of tune because of the tuners. I would think if it were the tuners, the strings that are played more would be more out of tune than the others.

I find that ALL of my strings are either a tad sharp of flat depending on the temps mainly and they are all equally out of tune the same amount.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Reddog01

Reddog01

Spring for the $45 to $50 and get a setup done. It will make a HUGE difference.

7. Davyo

Good points,,,,, yep,,, it's all my strings going out of tune,,, a lot !!!!

I wouldn't think a neck could move or shift that much but since ALL my strings are going out that would be the most logical explanation.

Thanks much
    Cheers
    Davyo

8. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

Yes. I've spent a great deal of time setting my bass up (as I do with all my basses), but we are talking about wood here. And it's a pencil thin neck. Even with string tension and a truss rod, well, it's going to be prone to some movement.

I just keep my tuning in check. Not a huge problem, especially with having electronic tuners and mute buttons. ;)

I have an ESP LTD 5 string with a beefier neck. That thing has stayed in tune for over a month, and that includes constantly taking it in and out of a gig bag, and in and out of a warm house into a cold truck, etc.

9. megafiddle

megafiddle

If the neck is moving, your action will change also.
    Has the action been getting progressively higher?

It's not a change due to weather, as that would not occur over a period of 3 to 4 songs.
    If the neck is lifting in the pocket, the action would increase also. Same if the truss rod
    were relaxing and relief was increasing, action height would increase.

When you retune, do you only tune up to pitch? Or due you tune a bit too high and have
    to then tune down to pitch? If you tune down to pitch, the backlash in the tuners can allow
    the tuning post to slip backward at some later time. This only would apply if you are always
    tuning all your strings down to pitch, as all are going flat.

A similar thing would happen if the strings were binding in the nut slots and you always
    tuned down to pitch. The string, when it finally slipped, would slip towards the fretboard
    and go flat. But again, this only applies if you are always tuning all strings down to pitch.

-

10. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

FWIW my SR375 is so rock solid tuning wise that I often forget to check the tuning before my weekly gig. When I remember before the third song or so, yep it's in tune. Standard tuning though.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I've had two SR300 bases - one thing as mentioned, is that it's got the super slim neck and if I remember correctly Ibanez recommends using lighter gauge strings on it. I don't know what strings you're using, but perhaps it may have something to do with it?
    I've found that my SR300 basses required more truss rod adjustments than my other basses (I've had 60 the past 3 years) - finicky necks imo and the reason why I sold both to be honest with you. Love the slim neck but not when it sacrifices stability in the process.

Edit: read that you did try different strings already.

12. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I'd also check the nut to see if it needs a tad more filing like someone else mentioned, but moving from EADG to BEAD doesn't add more tension - it's actually a little less. I've never heard of a neck moving on an SR because it's a pretty tight fit even with the thinner neck - they have been around since the late 80s. I've had a handful of SR4s, and never had a tuning issue with EADG or DGCF ... check the nut. Let us know what you find.

13. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

The neck on an SR300 is not as stiff as the higher number SR's (500 series and up) as they use harder woods for that ultra-thin neck. I have a 505 and 700 and play them often, and have left them sit for a month without playing them and they seem to stay in tune or very damn close.

14. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Also - you reset the intonation for BEAD ... right?

15. Davyo

Yep,, my guitar guy did it for me.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and things to consider.

It would seem I have a new problem as well,,, on the bridge,,,, one, and only one of my bridge string saddles keeps going lower and lower with the tiny screws on each side of the string rising higher and higher,,, that one string gets so low it starts fretting out really bad on the fretboard.

I have raised that one string saddle on the bridge more than a few times to bring the string back up to the same height as the other strings off the fretboard but with no luck,,, the string saddle/slot keeps unscrewing itself.

***,,,, a brand new bass but it's past my return window,,, I'm starting to feel like I just threw away my money on a lemon bass,,, very frustrated.

Cheers
    Davyo

16. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

This isn't the first time i read something like this for the B120 bridge :meh: .
    You can try the Prime Lok 275 red http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRIME-LOK-S...GH-STRENGTH-machine-Screw-27569-/320895712955 .Do not use a lot of that think,just a tiny tiny drop on the threads.
    Good luck

17. Davyo

18. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

As megafiddle asked, do you always tune UP to pitch, never tune DOWN to pitch.

TUNING DOWN to pitch is wrong as he said.

Make sure strings aren't binding at the nut. Lube the nut by rubbing a pencil in the slots. .

Saddle screws:: medium hold thread locker as noted above

19. Davyo

Yep,,,, I always tune up,,, when needed I will down tune to bring it back up.

I called GC and since the bass is past the GC return window they suggested I contact Ibanez to see about a repair or an exchange, so I guess that's my next step.

I've never had to deal with Ibanez CS before, I do hope it is painless.

Cheers
    Davyo

20. autotech6506

autotech6506

Don't use that unless you never plan to adjust the saddles ever again. The high strength red stuff is permanent unless you use a lot of heat to break up the loctite. You want the medium blue stuff.

21. Davyo

Thanks,, and agreed,,,,, I already checked out the blue vs red stuff,,, I will go with the blue if I do use it.

Cheers
    Davyo