1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez SR3006E (Bubinga/Mahogany 6-string Prestige)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Low D., Oct 20, 2007.

1. Low D.

Low D.

Hey guys, I 've finally (out of the blue) sold my 6-string Warwick Thumb BO and while I was thinking getting a new Warwick I looked over every bass I could find on the net to see alternative options and I ve looked my old subscriptions on Bass Player mag page by page hehe... it took me a while but I came to this 1 bass I really want. The Ibanez SR3006E, you can see it here: http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/basses/sr/gal-sr3006e.htm

Why? Cause I had a similar bass (only 5-string) back in the 90s and LOVED it, I love its heavy hitting low B, its pretty and has woods like the Warwicks (Bubinga/Mahogany) and mostly it sounds twice for what it is priced! Its lighter than the 'wicks and has a nice fast thin neck... plus many other reasons (YES including the fact that I like Korn's early records bass sound :) ).

Any feedback from owners would be great, also since its a discontinued model I would love if anyone have seen this bass in a store (preferable in Europe), and if he could tell me where it is so I can put my order.

Respect,
    D.
  2. Low D.

Low D.

3. Big Mike Ipp

Big Mike Ipp

I have the 4 string model and its above and beyond most basses I play. The raw neck is slick and smooth, plays really fast, the Bartolinis are...well the different sounds you can get are insane and can get pretty mid rangy. Wonderful sound. It has a botique feel at half the price. If you need more info PM me...

Also, Ibanez just came back out with this exact bass calling it the "40th anneversery" (spelling?) bass. Same thing but with gold hardware
  4. I am Domokun

I am Domokun

There's a guy on here from Ireland, Doc J who has one. He was trying to sell it a while ago, but I think he's decided to keep it. Best I can do...
  5. pin_head_47

pin_head_47

i currently play on an ibanez sr5000, which is basically the predecessor of that model in a 4-string. it's the only bass i've owned and played for the past 5 years or so and ive never been able to move on to anything different; the only thing i've even considered to replace it has been a similar 5 string. this is the bass that has gotten me hooked on wenge necks and the warm sound of mahogany bodies. it is very light and slim, and the neck is my fave out of anything else i've had the chance to play on. the feel of unfinished wenge is fantastic, but you would already know that from playing on warwicks. mine also has a p/j pickup set, while that one has soapbars, but from what i remember, those pickups were great.
    the only gripe i've ever had with mine is that the preamp is a bit sterile sounding and doesn't truly let the sound of the wood shine. i usually have to dial in just a bit extra bass on the preamp for some more warmth, but i can still get the growl from the wenge to come thru ok.
    since it's discontinued, i think you'd have a hard time finding one locally, especially in a 6-string. your best bet is probably ebay, but if you want to go with a newer model, look at the sr506 being made right now - very similar features at a good price. it doesn't have the gourgeous 5-piece neck, but it is still wenge on mahogany. plus it has the newer bart soapbars with the bart preamp, which i believe sounds better, although you will lose the sweepable mid as well.
    if you can find one, try it and see, i think you'll be pretty pleased by the comparison. hope this helps and good luck with your hunt.
  6. Unlord

Unlord

I own this bass. It is freakin' great. The only small gripe is the tight string spacing (16,5mm). That requires some skill if you come from a 19mm bass.

There is a guy in Belgium selling his SR3006E for cheap. Try to locate his ad on www.marktplaats.nl if you want.
  7. themajorrager

themajorrager

8. Low D.

Low D.

Seen it online, he changed the pickups too. I m lookin for new one though.

Cheers man, I used to own the SR5005 and I miss its feel and sound a lot. I wont stop till I find the SR3006E its like I m looking for my dream girl that I d get married to soon hehehe....
    btw a friend of mine saw the pictures from the link on my first post and said: "Ibanez Thumb"!!! :D Then I realize I liked my Thumb but this is what I always really wanted, an Ibanez Thumb! hehe

I like the smaller spacing although I m a big guy with big hands... the spacing on the Warwick was one of drops for me.

Thanx for the link but there is no SR3006E in there. Or at least for now. Anw I would be more than happy if I could spot a new one left in a store or something.

Cheers.

Thank you very much for this link, but its the SR3006 (and tempting at 525 Euros) and not the SR3006E with Bartolinis. :(
  9. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

the sr3006e...wow...this bass makes me cry, i found it at guitar center for 400 dollars (yes the one with real barts) and my dad didnt let me even put it on layaway, i went htere a weel later when my dad said ok, and guess what, its gone, but in the 2 hours i played that bass, it has to be THE best ibanez i have ever played to date, weight, pounding b, and other strings, and its versatility from the big boom tone to the high crunch. if oyu have the chance, buy it immediately, you wont be dissapointed

-nish

p.s. if you happen to find 2, send one my way =D
  10. Low D.

Low D.

man! you ll make me cry! :crying:
  11. A9X

A9X

Beautiful instrument, but very rare.
  12. Terry_R

Terry_R

My God.....I need one!!
  13. tripb19

tripb19 Camel - Camel

I've got one, it's very good to play, very light and beautifully crafted, although like most Ibanez's the B is not up to the standards of the rest of the bass.
  14. Herrlster

Herrlster

He speaks the truth...

I had an SR5005 before and everything about the bass was great, except the B string.

the sound was so different from the rest of the strings, and it distorted my amp whenever I used it...
  15. Low D.

Low D.

Never experienced something like that on my SR5005, but actually I m hard to find a similar sounding heavy hitting low B! Maybe there is something else that goes wrong in your rig or something? Plus this bass has Bartolinis that sound quite better than the older models.
  16. Low D.

Low D.

In case I cant find this model does anyone know if the new SR1006 neck-through is a good replacer? I wish it came out in darker woods though. :meh:
  17. Enmesarra

Enmesarra

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Great looking bass but this description is a bit over the top....

:confused::rolleyes:
  19. Low D.

Low D.

Cheers for the link man!

Although I ve already seen it, :) thats me below asking about the European shipment. Although he told me its not the SR3006E but SR3006.

Its weird though 'cause only the SR3006E has the Bartolinis! Is it possible a SR3006 from 1999 to have Bartolinis on, instead of the Ibanez-standard-pickups? Because he is saying that the bass is like new, like he bought it back then.

I m afraid he has right! :crying:
  20. dumbdrum

dumbdrum

Looks like he changed his description. Ibanez pickups