1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez sr300mpw pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by casper_morgan, Mar 25, 2013.

1. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

So I have both a Ibanez sr600 that I use for higher tuning such as Standard E, Drop D, and Half Step .. and I have my sr300 set up for lower tuning such as Drop C and Drop B. My complaint is that the pickups on my sr300 just aren't enough for the type of music that they are being used for. I love the sound that my sr600 has partly because of the bart mk1's it has in it.

So I guess my question is... do I get some MK1's and get them installed on my sr300? Or is it even worth it to mod such a cheaper end Ibby, and should I just get a model that already has these pickups in them...

Keep in mind I will have to pay GC to do the work as well as buy the p/u ... installation for me would cost about 35$

ALSO where do I buy some Bart mk1's ? I have looked through google... cant find much on bass pickups or where to buy them.. any help would be much appreciated.
  2. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Hey Casper,

I used to own an SR500, which is a stones throw from the 600 model, so I think I can contribute something here...

Not only does the SR300 have different pickups, but the preamp is also quite different as well. In regards to which one is the weakest link, I can't say for sure, but there are definitely some great pickup options out there if you like the MK-1's. I think the MK-1's are very good for a stock set of pickups and WAY better than the CAP's in the SR400 and below series, but for around what you'd pay for replacement MK1's, you could get a much nicer set of pickups.

I'm in the market for modding an SR305 with some new pickups and a real Bart preamp in the near future. Through my research, your best bet may be getting in touch with David (SGD Lutherie) on here. He makes a pickup that fits the slot for those and it's much higher quality than the MK1s from what I can gather. David also does customs (though it takes a while, he's a popular guy on here and gets rave reviews) so if you know what you want and would like to improve on with the MK1's he can definitely make it happen.

The ones I'm looking at are a fit for the 4 or 5 string Ibanez SR models:
    http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/ND3-BC5.html

There are other options, but I think you'll find David's pickups may be the best option for this situation. The price is definitely reasonable for such a set, PM him if you have any questions, he's on here almost every day.