Ibanez SR405QM Electronics Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tunewriter, Feb 21, 2014.

1. tunewriter

tunewriter

Just picked up one of these used. Trying to move from 4 string to 5 and ya just gotta love the SR series for playability. Anyway, one of the equalization knobs has an upper and lower part. Top seems to control the high end balance and the the bottom controls the low end. Pretty cool but I'm wondering how this could be stock. Pickups look stock and no signs of any workmanship anywhere.
    No manuals came with the bass.
    Anyone else seen this on any SR405 ????

Thanks, in advance, for your reply.:meh:
  2. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

Those push-pull boost knobs are stock on that model. My old Road Gear has one, which was actually a "coil tap", since the pup configuration was a jazz/single coil at neck and a MM-style humbucker at bridge. I'm not sure if it works the same way on those SR400/405 pups, though.

EDIT: Yep...I goofed. Thanks, Wallace; I misinterpreted the upper/lower of that knob to mean a push-pull knob. I gotta stop posting either very late at night or very early in the morning!
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320

I also had a roadgear back in the days (Rd900 in particular) and it's not the electronic tune is mentionin'

Tune, here's what you're lookin for:
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=283&now=3

You got Ibanez own carved soapbars, and they started on your model (Sr400) then were adopted on Sr300 after Sr400 were dismissed

You got two concentric pots: bass (bottom) and treble (top) as you know the first one you encounter from pickups to the bridge is volume, the second is pickup balancer
    The last one, in front of the stacked one, is the socalled style sweeper
    Keep volume at full, balance at center detent and do the same with both bass and treble: then turn last knob clockwise or counterclockwise. In a sense you'll perceive more midrange (like the rolloff switch on Ibanez Soundwave combos) for a fingerstyle kinda playin', in the opposite sense you'll perceive a midscoop (enhanced bass/treble, less midrange: like the shape switch on Ibanez Soundwave combos) for slappin'!

hope this helps

Cheers,
    Wallace
  4. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Pleasantly plucky Supporting Member

Media:
    Yup, according to Ibanez the style-sweeper adjusts the curvature of the EQ...sort of like the ultra-hi and ultra-lo buttons on an Ampeg SVT-CL. Turning in one direction boosts the extremes of bass and treble, while the opposite pulls them down and broadens the frequency range...sort of a pseudo-mid boost. I don't care for the EQ, but the pickups aren't too bad.
  5. Register to disable this ad