1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez SR496 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sfxster, Oct 28, 2013.

1. sfxster

sfxster

I'm considering upgrading the pups for my bass but I don't know the actual dimensions of them. I've been searching on the Ibanez site but didn't found anything.

The pickups are a DX6 set (neck and bridge). Anybody has any idea?
    Thanks.

Just to clarify, I'm not searching for a specific brand/model (eg, EMG) but the size, I don't want to make new holes or expanding the existing
  2. JustForSport

JustForSport

They may be same size as EMG '45's-
    check their site for size and measure yours.
    DX6's are passive, so if you go to active pickups instead of staying with passive, you'll need diff pots, at the least.
  3. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I believe they are Bartolini's p4 size... Major routing needed to be done for EMG when I had my sr305 with the same pickup type.
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Also, I think DX6's are 'reverse P' split inside, and may be better paired with an upgraded preamp.
    A lot of folks on here think that the OEM preamp is the weakest link.
  5. srvlives4evr

srvlives4evr Supporting Member

+1. They are just slightly larger than 1.5"x4.5" (EMG 45 shape). I've replaced ADX pickups previously which are the active version of the DX's

+1 but I think they're standard split P
  6. sfxster

sfxster

So, EMG 45 shape? nice.

I also heard that thing about the preamp, maybe I'll start with a preamp upgrade since is cheaper.

Thanks everybody!
  7. sfxster

sfxster

A little bump, I figured it out that my bass uses EMG 40 shape, so I'm thinking of a couple of 40DC plus a EMG preamp. But the pickups are suited for five stringers and I really don't know if they work in my six strings
  8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Just re-checked, and seems that I had meant that EMG 40 (NOT 45) series are 'near' same size as DX6/ADX6. The EMG 40 series are just a little smaller than those Ibanez pickups.
    The DX6/ADX6 are on Ibanez 6-stringers, and I have EMG 40DC's on a 5-stringer.
    However, an EMG 40P5 (for P series) is required for a 5-stringer, as it is a 'split coil' design, not a blade style dual coil as the DC/CS (and maybe the hz) series are.
    Sorry about the previous size mistake- always check recommendations out to your own satisfaction ;)
  9. sfxster

sfxster

No problem. I'm still a bit confused with all the different pickups (single coil, split, dual, quad, etc).
    I know soapbar means the 'housing' of the actual pickup and it can be P, J and many others, so there's a lot to learn ;)

But I changed my mind and I'm going to buy a preamp first, I read that the DX6 pups are slightly better than the EQB3 preamp and therefore I'll leave the pickups for later. I always wanted a Aguilar OBP3 but there are more expensive than Bartolini or EMG for example.

Ah, and by the way, which sound can I expect from a Bartolini preamp? They are my second choice after a OBP3 and probably only since I read that the EMG preamps only works on EMG brand pickups

Will I get some discounts from black friday/cyber monday?