Ibanez SR500 different versions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fistuno09, Apr 13, 2014.

1. fistuno09

fistuno09

Hey guys,

I'm going to look at a used SR500 today and possibly buy it if I like it, but I have a quick question about it.

I remember reading somewhere to watch out for older versions pre-2010, as they were not as good. The one that I am going to see does not have the little 'mid frequency selector' flick switch on it, so I can only presume it is an older model.

The serial number is 081264241 so I presume it was manufactured in December 2008.

Is it still just as good? Worth buying?

[​IMG]
  2. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Yes on it being an 08'. If it's in good shape, the price is right, and you like it - then go for it. In 10' Ibanez upgraded the EQ with the addition of the mid freq switch. I've played the older models, and own a 10' SR600 with the switch. It's a nice feature, but not really a make or break deal - I don't think you'll really miss having the mid freq switch if it's a good deal. They're very nice basses.
  3. fistuno09

fistuno09

I remember hearing something about different pickups being used, as well as a different neck setup?
  4. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

I had an SR500 in the 90's, it had black plastic mini knobs, no switch, and a wenge/bubinga neck, and the bridge did not look like that, I do not still have it but I liked it very much.