1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ibanez SR500 - Question about hissing/crackling sounds & string recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dogwillhunt80, Jan 16, 2014.

1. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Hi.

Just picked up a brand new Ibanez SR500 bass. I've tried it a few times in the store and decided to buy it. They did not have the amp that I have, which is a Fender Rumble 15 (I know, getting a bigger better amp IS next on the agenda), but I tried it on a Fender Rumble 30 I believe. It sounded great on that but when I brought it home, I noticed there was a lot of hissing and crackling sounds when I'm not playing it. I thought it was my patch cord and/or the amp itself but when I plug in my other bass (an Epiphone El Capitan acoustic/electric bass) and use the same cord and amp, it's fine!

I brought it back and they tried it on a few amps including their lowest one (which was 25 watts) and it was fine there. The guy says that the active pickups might be too much for my little amp.

I wanted to know from other people if what he is saying is certainly true or not. I have mucked around with the knobs of my amp and the SR500 itself and the hissing/crackling doesn't go away but just changes in volume and squeal. He also said that I could turn the Gain down but my amp doesn't have a Gain knob. LOL

My 2nd question is what bass strings do you guys recommend for this SR500. While it's a pretty sweet bass in my opinion, the strings it came with, I can tell are nowhere near the best.

I use flatwound strings on my Epiphone and I love the sound of them. Would they sound good on the SR500 and would slapping and popping still sound decent?

If not, what do you guys recommend?

Sorry for the long 2-parter here but I really want some good feedback ASAP.

Thanks

2. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

I have an SR505 and an SR700. Both bases are absolutely quiet. So I would have to say its your amp. On another note, I'm surprised you didn't like the strings? They normally come standard with Elixers which I tend to like.

3. Animal

Animal Supporting Member

I have an SR505 & have no issues with hissing or crackling. I'm playing that through a 4x10 cab with a 500 watt head. Also, with a pedal board running through the effects loop.

For strings, I use DR High Beams. Love em'. Good tone for slapping n' poppin' or just finger style playing. That's just my opinion though.

4. Reddog01

Reddog01

I, too, have experienced that hissing coming through my Rumble 15 while playing an Ibby. I also have a GK MB115, and I have no hissing coming through it. Bet ya it's the amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wesley R

Wesley R

I have an SR500 it is dead quiet. I did not want Round wounds, but the Elixer lovers here convinced me to give them a go. I did and I like them. Someday, I may put tapewounds on it, but for now am sticking with the Elixers.

7. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

My SR600, SR705, SR400, and SR405 are all quiet, and loaded with a wide range in tone. Maybe you're not used to having a nice bright top end?

Elixir Nano's are very nice sounding strings, but they are nickel roundwounds, and are bright compared to flats, and they aren't cheap either. I use D'Addario Prosteels that really bring out the Ibanez sound.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Sounds like the bass's cavity might not be shielded completely and playing it at home, as compared to the store, revealed it.

My GC has an in-house guitar/bass tech and they stand behind everything I buy. I would press the seller to find the problem because if it doesn't happen with the other bass/same chord/same amp, it's the bass.

You might want to check your light bulbs too. Those new curly energy saving bulbs caused racket at our drummers house. When we swapped out the new bulbs, problem solved. Active basses will cause more noise than passive when shielding isn't complete.

9. ZenG

ZenG

Maybe it's your instrument cable......