Ibanez SR500 removal of volume pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nrs7six, Aug 6, 2010.

1. nrs7six

nrs7six

Hi all,

Just a quickie. I have an Ibanez SR500 and want to take the volume/tone pots off. I can't work out how to do it and don't want to break them!! Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance, Steve

2. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

I don't have one, so not sure what the issue is, but are you talking about the pots in the control cavity, or the knobs on the front of the bass? If the knobs, they might just be push-on ones in which case a quick way is to get a spoon, get the tip under the edge of the knob, put some cardboard or a rag under the point where the spoon hits the body (to protect it), and pry up -- slow and gentle. If it's tough, turn the knob and pry up around the whole circumference a little at a time. Lots of ways -- search for "removing knobs."

3. BryInSanford

BryInSanford

You asked about how to remove your Ibanez SR500 pots. It should be easy. The knobs use a common hex wrench to get the slugs loose. Home Depot or any hardware store has them. You can do this, but does Ibanez supply any decent replacement pots?
    These are unique to the Ibanez basses, and unfortunately not replaceable with just any old potentiometer.
    I think they are 20K or something and an oddball mounting configuration. mine SCRATCH like crazy any time I turn them when a note is playing which is horrible for a professional musician! You have to wonder why they didn't have any marker / pointer on the knobs too, so you can see where they are set. How could Ibanez use such crummy pots on a $500 bass, and not feel guilty? :) Other than that it is the best bass I have ever owned. I have had mine for years and I love it. Great sound, light weight. Let me know if you find a source for the replacement pots. I will check the IBNhad web site.

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourc.../insets/zoom/SR500BM_BARTOLINI_MK1PUS_EQS.jpg

4. grendle

grendle

use contact cleaner on your pots. available at any radio shack. all pots will get scratchy with age.

5. Register to disable this ad