Ibanez SR500 vs Warwick Rockbass Streamer Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GBassLondon, Mar 25, 2014.

1. GBassLondon

GBassLondon

Hi all,

Need help choosing a bass for my 30th :) I have a strange bass history and want to finally make a correct decision. Here is what I've had so far:

Ibanez GSR200 (most playable ever but cheap tone)
    MIM p bass (never got on with tone)
    Sterling Ray (trying to copy Timmy C, neck too fat)
    Vintage v950b (cheap Bubinga 5er, trying to copy Dirk Lance)
    Lakland Skyline 44-01 (Trying to copy Ben Kenney, v playable but wasn't sure on tone or look)
    Rockbass corvette 07 model (Dirk Lance again... neck so fat that sadly it hurts to play!)

As you can see- I'm an idiot!!! So I've tried to work out what I want:

4 strings
    Natural appearance
    V playable neck
    Lighter if possible with less neck dive
    Cuts through mix
    Earthy tone but that can cut through (eg Dirk, Flea, Gordon Moakes from Bloc Party but I DON'T feel the need to copy exactly anymore :) )
    Good with nickel strings

I've tried the SR500 and will be able to try it again but alongside the wick on Wednesday. Love what I've heard from the wick on YouTube and I understand that as a newer rockbass, it should have a thinner neck than my 07 Corvette. I know the main thing is to play both but I often feel rushed in the shop, plus they are usually string with steels and not my rig.

Therefore with that being said- can anyone offer an opinion between the two to help me, in addition to me trying them both. I really want to settle on one bass and stop being GASing idiot and start practicing more!

Thanks in advance guys!!
  2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I never quite found my way with Warwick basses - They are way too thumpy and dark for my taste and from my point of way they only qualify for certain styles (but definetly not mine). I play Ibanez instead (SR 605) so I am heavily bias-ed in this question and advice you to go with the Ibanez.
    I tried a lot of basses in shops and never found neck (in that price region) that was so easily playable as a SoundGear bass.
  3. GBassLondon

GBassLondon

Thanks! It's certainly a tricky choice. Sound wise the Ibanez seems to have some lovely thump and cut, but the Wick has the beautiful top end that sounds like melted chocolate on the fretboard, rather than the twang of the Ibanez. Still, at least I really like both so if one is obviously more playable I should probably go for that!
  4. awilkie84

awilkie84

If you get the double Jazz setup on the Streamer, it's definitely not thumpy. lol It's bright, punchy & has some growl!

I like the Rockbass line (the newer ones). They've got some pep to them, but are usually higher in price than the SR500. Both are good basses. Try them both & take home the one that speaks most to you.

That said, I'm more of a Spector fan & have never been able to bond with either the Rockbass or SR.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eukatheude

eukatheude

I own a RB streamer (fretless) and I've played several Ibanez basses... I think quality/price is a lot higher with Ibanez.
  7. awilkie84

awilkie84

What year is your Rockbass. They went through a complete overhaul a couple years ago and are nowhere near what they were before for quality.
  8. GBassLondon

GBassLondon

Managed to try both today! Much preferred the Wick- Ibanez clanky and strings too close together! It was slightly easier than the wick past fret 9 but that was the only benefit.

Only worry is- wick is passive and less bright and loud (might've had deader strings tho). Could I compensate for this with using new steels and my pedals (Eden WTDi preamp and EBS Multicomp)???

If so, it's THE bass!! Any thoughts?

Ps thanks for everyone's help!!
  9. awilkie84

awilkie84

There's an active model for that bass, too. Only a little more expensive. Nothing drastic. That should clear up the issue. A pre-amp pedal like your Eden would work well, too. :) New strings are usually a must for a new bass.
  10. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    As someone who loves Ibanez necks and loves Warwick tone...I have to say that I ended up selling my Warwick Rockbass, as much as it hurt to. The tone on it was amazing but the neck was still too big to be comfy for me, especially on the higher up frets. With the Ibanez basses you can usually cure them if something irks you (pickups, electronics, etc), but a bad neck is a little harder to remedy.

I'm ordering an old Ibanez CT5 to try and have the best of both worlds! I have an Ibanez SR800 from '93 that is absolutely awesome after replacing the pickups/electr. with Bartolini stuff. Sounds awesome and plays fantastic. I'd go with the SR500, I had one before I liked it a lot.
  11. GBassLondon

GBassLondon

I actually played that- it's quite different and double the price. Tone was great but had a laminate neck that I hated- I couldn't slide so it's a no no.

Hoping the Eden will punch it through :)