1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

To mark your thread sold, edit the title and choose the "SOLD" prefix. See the FAQ for more info

Ibanez SR5006E OL Prestige Six-string Very Cheap (has a neck issue)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    SOLD

aka SR 5006 EOL, SR5006EOL, SR 5006e OL, SR5006, etc.

The story behind this one is that I sold it to a friend when I switched to a couple of Zons. He noticed there was some buzzing or something IIRC higher on the neck that I hadn't and took it to a shop. Turns out the neck has a twist/ski jump thing going on. I obviously gave him a full refund and took it back. It's been sitting here for a while now as I haven't gotten Ibanez to reply back about a replacement neck, so I figured I'd put it up for sale at a heavy discount. The bass still plays extremely well with low action- it was my main bass for over a year and I have numerous recordings of it if anyone is interested (I can also cut a quick video playing up and down the fingerboard if anyone is seriously interested but concerned about the neck).

Has a few nicks, but overall excellent condition. There are two small screw holes from the David King-made wenge ramp. I have a black ramp for it as well with a smoother playing surface- I'll include both ramps with the bass. Includes OHSC.

$750 OBO shipped UPS standard or USPS
    34" scale
    16.5mm spacing
    Wenge top and back
    5-piece wenge/bubinga neck
    Mahogany body
    USA Bartolini radiused pups
    Radiused ramp
    Full specs: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...1&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=2&series_id=112

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gig pic:
    [​IMG]
  2. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Do you know if the truss rod is shot?
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    It worked fine the only time I used it, but that was a very minor adjustment
  4. NateMan

NateMan

Bryan,

PM'd ya!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. clcotro

clcotro

7. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Could you possibly post a picture from the nut facing straight down the fretboard? I'd like to see what this "ski jump" looks like.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    Got a bunch of PMs overnight- I'll post more pics here a little later today for everyone
  9. Kindred_

Kindred_

craziest steal ever!have you sold it?
  10. Chace90

Chace90 Gold Supporting Member

hmm, links don't seem to work, at least for me...
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    Ok, sorry for the delay guys. To answer any questions, the neck has a small area where the notes choke a little acoustically between about the 15th fret to around the 20th fret, but it's not really noticeable when plugged in to me. There are a couple noticeable choke outs when plugged in way up on the E string. I recorded a video playing every note on the neck below- you can see for yourself:
    http://www.bryanrtyler.com/notes.mp4

I generally keep my action quite low. If you were to drop the action to the dead bottom, the chokes might be more noticeable. Here's another quick vid of me just noodling around on the bass. I have fairly small hands, and it's very easy to move around on for a six:
    http://www.bryanrtyler.com/fiddling.mp4

Here are a few pictures of the neck from varying angles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm only looking to sell to buyers within the lower 48 at the moment, and I'm going to have to turn down any lowballers- I'm not in a rush for cash or anything.
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    I had the wrong weblinks for each one (uploaded to my normal site rather than my music one)- should be all fixed now.
  13. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Do you think a luthier would be able to correct the issues?
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    The friend I sold it to had taken it to Noll Guitars, who said that "one option would be to heat-straighten it, however, it would probably re-twist when tension is applied. Another option is to re-fret and plane the board, however I'd probably lose a few markers and there is also the possibility of dead notes."

So it seems possible, but I don't know what the cost of that would be. As it is, I imagine it would be best to only purchase the bass if you are fine with its current condition as I can't guarantee a luthier would be able to fix it.
  15. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Thanks for being so forthright. I'll think about it. I don't know why ibanez wouldn't honor the warranty though.
  16. car_man65

car_man65

Great looking bass! wish i had the extra cash to fork out for another project ibby... Ibanez has been really bad with customer service and warranty work recently. They were trying to get out of sending GC a new bridge for my sr755 and when they did it had already been almost 4 months.. But great bass there , whoever ends up with is it a lucky buyer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.