Ibanez SR600 or SR300. Imagine they come without pups and electronics...wich one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xantometapon, Nov 18, 2012.

1. xantometapon

xantometapon

I am going to buy one of these babies as I want to give the SR neck a try.
    These two are the only options as I am a lefty.

I have an MTD Kingston upgraded with an Aguilar preamp and real Bartolini pickups.
    I do not like the way they sound very much, so the fact that the SR600 comes with the chinese Barts is not important to me at all to make me buy it.

I like the ash body of the SR600 but, on the other hand, I think I prefer the looks of the maple/rosewood SR300´neck over the Jatoba/bubinga in the SR600...

So my question is:

Taking out of the equation the pickups and electronics, is the SR600 better built and finished than the SR300?

I have read some things about the frets in the SR300 like they are not well filled, leveled, rounded, that they buzz...

Haven´t read such things about the SR600.

FYI, the SR300 is now 330€ while I can get an SR600 for 575€.
    Very little chance I can get a used one of any of them (lefty) and there is ONLY ONE SR600 available in ONLY ONE store.

Please help
  2. Nobody

Nobody

I'd say get the SR300 since you just want to try the neck and prefer it's materials. You will save money for upgrades or whatever set-up it may need if you find you really like it.
  3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Disclosures:
    Sales Representative for Zane Guitars.
    The craftsmanship quality from a SR 600 to a SR 300 is night and day as a SR 300 is geared more for entry level players and a SR 600 is geared more for mid level to pro players. I would still go with the SR 600.
  4. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

The SR300 is very nice for the money, but the quality between the 30X models and the 50X/60X is indeed significant. Even with electronics stripped down, I'd go for the 60X.
  5. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

When you cross the line at the SR500 level, you enter a seriously better quality zone - rising from there to their top o' the line bases.

Lower than the 500 series is considered lesser to a jaded eye.