Ibanez SR600 or Warwick Fortress One (German)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xantometapon, Nov 22, 2012.

1. xantometapon

xantometapon

Hello there!

Some time ago I asked for help.
    I was btw an 2010 Streamer LX4 and a Fortress One from 1994 (made in Germany).

I got the LX4 and I am loving it.

My next purchase was going to be an Ibanez SR600 because I wanted to give the SR necks´a try, but I have noticed that the Fortress is stil available.

I know maybe is not an apples to apples comparison but, taking into account that they are priced about the same, I just wanted to ask which one would you think is a better bass and which one would you buy.

I love Warwicks, I now have three of them.
    Wouldn´t mind getting another one, but stil want to try the Ibanez.

I am a lefty, so no way I can test first. I have to buy and take the risk.

PLEASE HELP!!!
  2. xring

xring

I may get backlash for this, but I believe the Warwick is a solid step above the Ibanez, especially being priced the same.
  3. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

I'd take the Warwick
  4. El-Bob

El-Bob

What? Warwick. This isn't even a contest. Maybe if it was a lesser Warwick model, you could consider the Ibanez; they do make some great basses. This is a no-brainer though. Warwick, absolutely.

Warwick.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. guitar<bass

guitar<bass

Yeah, I have one. Sr506 isn't even in the same league. I mean, I like the ibanez and that's one bass I pick up nearly every time I see it. Its cool but not nearly as good, imho, as a Fortress.
  7. Herrick

Herrick

Why is the Fortress being sold at the same price as the SR600? What kind of condition is The Fortress in. Question for those who know a lot about Warwicks: I don't see one German-made Fortress on eBay. Are they very rare? Does it matter what shape the Fortress is in if the OP can get it so cheaply?
  8. hgiles

hgiles

Either the SR600 is way overpriced or the Warwick is a dog -- under normal circumstances these instruments are not even direct competitors.

Maybe you're comparing a new Ibanez price against a used Warwick? Of course the used bass will offer more value.

Having said that, I had an opportunity to buy some NOS German Warwicks at a killer price and passed...now I've got two Ibby's. Warwicks just don't fit my character.
  9. ilikebass7

ilikebass7 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    I love my fortress. It's an incredible bass. If it has a Wenge neck pick it up.
  10. El-Bob

El-Bob

...even if it doesn't have a wenge neck, it's still the better choice.
  11. ilikebass7

ilikebass7 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    I agree. The Ovangkol necks are just a lot thicker than ibanez necks. Soundgear necks are ing and fast as are Wenge Warwick necks. Either way I would go for the fortress
  12. xantometapon

xantometapon

Thanks for the repplies.

The Ibanez is new and the Fortress is used of course.

I can not see the Fortress in person, but the photos that the seller has posted show that it is in very good shape. Looks like NOS.

I really cannot see why it has not been sold yet.
    Maybe it is because it´s lefty or maybe it´s the fact that he does not offer shipping, just collection in person.

The Fortress comes with the wenge neck.

Any more comments?
  13. hgiles

hgiles

Definitely the used Warwick is going to be more worth the money against a brand new Ibanez. Generally, the Warwick is going to be more exclusive and desireable -- but I found Ibanez to be more inspiring to play, so I went and found a used MIJ Ibanez Prestige.

If youre into metal and grunge then the Warwick might be the better choice as your peers would probably love it.