1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez SR705 vs SR505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jesterbass, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jesterbass

jesterbass

Hello guys,

I am thinking about purchasing one of these two basses by Ibanez. My local dealer does not carry them at the moment so I can't try them out right now and would like your opinions/input. First of all, it seems Ibanez are using a new wood for their SR necks lately called Jatoba, the necks are Jatoba/Bubinga. I understand this is a very hard and durable wood but what are its tonal characteristics? Is it closer to the open timbre of maple or to the darker sound of wenge that they used formerly? In my experience most of the final timbre of a bass comes from the neck wood and construction.

Another thing, the SR line models are pretty similar with the most important differences being the woods. SR505 is solid mahogany body, while SR705 is a mahogany back, maple center block, maple front wings. Do you think there will be a significant tonal difference between these two? Have you tested them side by side? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
  2. jesterbass

jesterbass

Friendly bump!

Any opinions/experiences? :)
  3. punisher911

punisher911

Seemed to me the 700 series was a little brighter. Not much, but noticeable. I really like the SR500s. Yes, I played them back to back too.
  4. jesterbass

jesterbass

Thanks! Any udder takers? Any experience with the tonal characteristics of Jatoba vs other woods?
  5. Woofer

Woofer

Played a 505 and a 706 at GC a few weeks ago. The 706 did have a little more top end than the 505 with the EQ set flat but not a whole lot. The 706 was also a little heavier than the 505 but I'm not sure if that was due to it being a 6 or to the maple top.

As to the Jotoba neck wood, I'm sure it's just as stable as anything else, and with modern truss rods it probably doesn't matter anyway what wood you use. It felt nice and smooth, not oily or sticky. Liked the feel of it better than a wenge necked 'Wick I played the same day.
  6. jesterbass

jesterbass

I hear ya. I 've seen comments mentioning it gets sticky with a little perspiration.
  7. bassdaddyfive

bassdaddyfive

I have owned both, the SR706 and 506. I like the 506 much better. I sold the 706, it didn't have the tone the 506 had. The new neck wood is very stable and provides a very stiff neck, it helps with tone. IMO save your self some cash and go with the 500series, and did I mention it's also a little less weight.
  8. darkstorm

darkstorm

I like the 500 series better myself tone wise. More even, less trebly then the 700 series.
  9. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

I did a side by side comparison with the new 2010 706 and 506. The 706 is much heavier than the 506. The 706 does sound a little brighter than the 506. All and all I went with 506. It sounds some much better to me and is a lot lighter to. At the end of the day I am so happy I went with the 506.

Thanks

Shaun
  10. jesterbass

jesterbass

Thank you guys for the input, you are helping immensely! Any other comments are more than welcome! :)
  11. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

You guys are making me sad for selling my 505 back in the day... :(
  12. tdub0199

tdub0199

I like the tone of the SR505 better than the SR705 but to me the SR705 looks better and they both play the same, so.... tone or looks???
  13. BullHorn

BullHorn

I would never buy a bass based on what people on the internet say.

You must try it on your own to see if you like it or regret the consequence.
  14. Righteous Thunderer

Righteous Thunderer

You too eh? :( That was my first 5 string...
  15. FYTHamer

FYTHamer

Hello

I have both the 505 and the 705 and I love both of them. Yes the 705 is a bit brighter, but I would not say either is better than the other. The 705 is slightly heavier, but is a very nice looking piece of art. THe 505 being lighter with a slightly darker tone is very comfortable to play. These bases would suit any style of playing IMHO.
    I bought an LTD bass, and it was so damn heavy and was no where near the instrument of these Ibanez basses, Ibanez SR's totally rock!!
    :bassist:

FYTHamer
  16. gReEnBuL

gReEnBuL

:( Tell me about it, I traded my 505 for the 705, I miss my 505 :bawl:

But with that being said, the 705 is my goto bass with black beauties strapped on to tame some of the "brightness".
  17. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Tone depends on the production year: my 705 is a 2008 model, while the 505 (and 505M) is a 2009 model with the mid switch. The 705 is significantly heavier (weightwise) and the tone it massive and brutal, raw and thunderous. The 505 sounds brighter (this goes for all SRs with the new EQ with mid switch - these have a more open tone than the older models), but in the same time more refined and with increased clarity.

Some might not agree, but to me Ibbys are perfectly built for pick playing - it adds more bite to it and makes them growl. In spite of their "fragile look", these basses can take a beating and allow you to really dig in.