Ibanez SR706 vs. Yamaha TRB 6 II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hgiles, Nov 15, 2012.

1. hgiles

hgiles

I have been playing bass less than a month. But I play saxophone and piano already and have a degree in music theory, so I am not a musical beginner, just a beginner to bass playing.

I picked up an (post 2008 model) Ibanez SR706 and am really enjoying learning bass! It's made in Indonesia, but a nice playing bass in great condition.

I was wondering if an older Japanese made TRB 6 II (ebay) would be considered an upgrade? I do tend to like the balanced Japanese approach in manufacturing and engineering -- cars, saxes, electronics.

I really like the Ibanez, but have noticed an appreciation for things made in Japan, Western Europe, and USA.

Would I (beginner player) feel a difference between the two? Is there any upgrade available in anything that would cost me less than $1000?

[​IMG]
  2. eee

eee

Oh yeah, the Yammie would be better fo sho
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I much prefer the string spacing and neck profile of the Yamaha.
  4. hgiles

hgiles

Wow. Thanks for the responses, eee, and Dr. Cheese! I was afraid you'd say that. I do like the Ibby though and thought since it was almost new, would have some of the latest design features that the TRB 6 wouldn't have. You got me thinking now.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

A MIJ Yamaha TRB6 would sport a neckthru body, monorail bridge saddles encompassing a piezo pickup below them

For new it would cost 2,5 X MII Ibanez SR706 streetprice.

But check its state of maintenance out: these are very precious instruments, so they're worth a deep insight...

Cheers,
    Wallace
  7. hgiles

hgiles

Yeah I wouldn't buy a brand new TRB 6 II. Way out of my justification a this point. $800 or so U.S. wouldn't be, which is what i see around ebay for used TRB 6 IIs. of course, had I known I would be enjoying bass as much as I am I woulda bought a higher end in the beginning. Maybe my daughter will play the Ibby when I get a Yamaha! Ha!
  8. Wallace320

Wallace320

Check it out good buddy, serious...

It's like a sportscar... you gotta be sure it wasn't exhausted...

Months ago I been close to an old TRB5 (priced €. 1.000,00) and went away in a blink, being used but in perfect operating condition

Just be sure everything's ok and it was in good hands before yours

Cheers,
    Wallace
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ibanez sixes. They are very well made and cover a wide variety of price points. If the 16.5mm spacing and thinner necks work for you, there is no reason to change at all.
  10. hgiles

hgiles

So what else in the $1000 range would be considered an upgrade. I'd prefer something Made in Japan, Western Europe, or America. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

FYI -- There are a few German made Warwicks brand new in a shop for $1400 for a 6er Corvette Standard ('08). And $1800 for a 5er Ash Katana ('06)...

Good deals?
  11. Relayer71

Relayer71

Well Ibanez IS a Japanese company and their Prestige line is made there, may want to check it out since you do like your SR706.
  12. hgiles

hgiles

Oh, yes, I am definitely looking at Prestige as well. I have yet to understand which Prestiges are made in Japan and which are made elsewhere. I'd strongly consider a MIJ Prestige if I can find a good one under $1000.
  13. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

+1

I've been playing Ibby SR's since 85', and find the quality to be very good compared to (some) other brands in the same price range. I've never found one with bad fret work including the lower priced ones plus they have a wide range of sound capabillities, and are lighter in weight.
  14. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

This. It's all about the feel of Ibanez, the 5s and 6s are no different. If it's your thing to have a thin neck and a light body, stay with them. If you don't care, or perfer a wider string spacing, go with something--anything--else.

Me, I dig it. YMMV.