1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ibanez SRF700 Portamento Fretless Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by line6bassist, Jan 23, 2014.

1. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

2. bassplace

bassplace Supporting Member

Will depend on the strings you use. I have an ACG with a piezo bridge and with rounds (sunbeams) it doesn't sound like an upright. Does sound incredibly big and full though.

3. RBellavance

RBellavance

It sounds absolutely lovely:

4. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Disclosures:
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    I think its pretty cool! Love that fretboard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

wow!!!!

7. Root 5

Root 5

I'd like it more if it was offered sans piezo pickup. I like to use tapewounds on a fretless and I wouldn't have the option of using the piezo - unless I want the hassle of unwinding some of the tape.

8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Now THAT is a true jazz tone. 1000% Best by far than any Fender jazz by a long shot IMO. I WANT THIS! DAMMIT, I WANT THIS!
    <calm deep breath> ..OK...OK..better. Now, which leg can I feel that I can give up? Hmm. Wonder if I can peddle my....no, no, no. Uh.............shiiiii...zoly! OK, start planning.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    The side dots are in the wrong place :D That's a problem you usually don't get with an unlined bass. Sounds great though

10. Root 5

Root 5

Oh no! Did Ibby pull a Rickenbacker on us????

Ric doesn't put the dots where the fret would be on their fretless basses. It's the only thing I seriously dislike about the 4003FL.

11. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Really? Where did you saw this? I thought of getting the bass because it has 30 frets

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    In the video. The side has lines as if it was a lined fretless with dots between the lines- this is typical for lined fretlesses even though it puts the dots in the wrong place, but seeing them use it on an unlined is bizarre.

13. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Dots weird? Yup. Feature set and price point seem killer though! Color me interested!

14. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    What is different is that while the front of the fingerboard is unlined, the side has lines, then it makes perfect sense to put the dots between them. It's just that I have never seen an unlined neck with all of the "fret lines" on the side.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Media:
    It doesn't make sense at all. The dots located between the lines are in the wrong spot- that's not the correct point of intonation. Those dots are usually located there on lined fretless basses simply because companies use the same slotting as they have on fretted basses to save time/money. On unlined basses, the dots are usually located in the correct position as they're not relying on a fretted slotting, so they can put them in the right place. Ibanez had the opportunity to do something unique with this bass obviously- what they could have done was have lines on the side with dots in the proper location at the 3, 5, etc. positions. Instead they took one of the things people dislike most about lined basses and put it on their unlined bass.

Not that this is going to be a huge deal for a lot of people, but it was definitely a strange/bad choice. It may throw off unlined players who are used to the dots being in the proper spot as well.

16. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Take another look. It IS lined, but only on the side as you suggested. So there is a mark (line) at every point of intonation. The dots are between them for reference, as the normal convention would place them.
    If the dot was placed on the point of intonation, it would be on top of one of the lines.

My MIJ unlined fretless Fenders have side dots placed as you suggest, on the intonation point, but either way, I agree that it's of little consequence.

17. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Definitely a weird choice in a new production fretless. This is the kind of setup you expect from a de-fret conversion. I suppose if you want lines on the side AND dots, you have to go this way...

Honestly, it wouldn't give me any pause. I have both defretted basses and purpose-built fretlesses with dots 'on the note'. It's not something I even think about when playing!

I really hope I run across one of these Ibby's to try out! Ibanez hardware and construction is always top notch. I really want to see what I can do with that piezo bridge...

18. Lo-E

Lo-E

Tapewounds work fine with a piezo bridge.

I agree that the side marker arrangement is a little odd, but I doubt it would be that hard to adjust to. All in all, this looks like a really nice bass. Typically nice work from Ibby!

19. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

If there are side lines, then dots between them make perfect sense to me. Yes, it's not the traditional way of marking unlined boards - but then neither is the use of side lines. I'm no fretless expert (my first is on order) but if I was designing my ideal it wold probably have the clean look of an unlined board with the extra assistance of sidelines, and the dots as on a fretted bass.

20. therhodeo

therhodeo

To me (not a fretless player yet) it seems like a great compromise.

21. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

Indeed what I was thinking too.