Ibanez SRF705 - Need Experiences

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JT_Copy9, Feb 18, 2014.

1. JT_Copy9

JT_Copy9

I am considering an Ibanez SRF705 for 4 main reasons but need feedback.
    First, I want to begin playing with 5 strings. I have played 4stringed basses forever and have always run into lower tuning issues.
    Secondly, I want to try fretless and see if I can connect with it.
    Thirdly, it uses the piezo system to simulate a stand-up. That sounds really cool.
    Lastly, compared to other fretless basses, the price seems acceptable ($950).
    I am planning on running it through a Hartke LH500 w/ Hartke 410XL cabinet. I also have and like to use effects on bass.
    Any experiences with this bass or any other input on the above mentioned features for a newbie?
    Thank You In Advance.
    JT

URL : http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...87&color=CL01&year=2014&cat_id=2&series_id=51

2. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never had any experience with that model, but I have played many SDGRs and they are nice.
    I just bought an SR500F--which is a lot less, but it's 4 strings and no piezo--and a few other differences to make up the price difference.

They do sound cool, I wouldn't mind checking one out.

Hopefully someone here can give you the benefit of their experience.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320

but here in Italy we're still awaitin' for the workshop's to arrive

I mean:
    our distributor serves France too, and I'm awaitin' Btb686Sc... they told me initial order, due to arrive early March, has been delayed 'till the end of the month, then usual QC check-ups, finally items will be shipped to shops, and elsewhere

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. JT_Copy9

JT_Copy9

One more thing...
    They have the specs saying that the string gauges for the 5 string models are: .045, .065, .085, .105, .130"
    How loose will the strings be if I tune B, E, A, D, G?
    Im looking for a lower bottom string... but am used to the tension of standard tuning a 4 string bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JT_Copy9

JT_Copy9

So I contacted Sam Ash & Guitar Center and neither one will offer to bring one into their store for me to try out. They want me to special order it and if I don't like it... too bad. They don't have a 30-day return policy for special orders.
    Anyone know of a place or contact where I could try one of these out? I would also like to bring my rig to see how it sounds.

Thanks,
    JT

7. jtl1380

jtl1380

Played one of these the other day at Guitar Center...wishing I hadn't, because now I really want one. BEADG is the standard tuning on this bass, though Ibanez lists it backwards. There is no floppy B-string on this bass & those string gauges are pretty much your standard medium gauge bass string. Not sure what kind of flats this bass comes with, but they definitely feel & sound nice.

I would say try Guitar Center in your area (if possible) to see if they have one in stock.

8. JT_Copy9

JT_Copy9

Thanks jtl380... thats what I was afraid of... :)
    My GC has told me they won't bring them in for me to try. Which GC were you at? Was it the new version or the older version? Was it lined fretless? more details please...
    Thanks for the update.
    JT

9. jtl1380

jtl1380

I'm in the Phoenix area. It was the Tempe GC. It was the newest version as far as I know (the "Portamento" ) with the AeroSilk piezo bridge & 30 "fret" board. Not lined on the board, but lines and dots on the side of the board make it pretty easy to navigate.

The tone is really warm with the mahogany body/rosewood board combo. Neck feels amazing & super fast. String spacing is a bit closer than I normally like, but still really playable. If you play or have played other Ibanez SR basses, the feel is very familiar.

Hope that helps!

10. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

I've had mine for about a month, and, like, you, this was my first fiver. The transition was not at all difficult, perhaps because of the narrow spacing. I put GHS tapes on mine, and I have to say this is the best playing, most tone-versatile bass I have ever played! I never thought I would use the board beyond the first octave, but access is so easy I find myself way up high all the time! I can't say enough good things about it. It's everything I hoped it would be. Buy it!
    (probably wouldn't be great for slapping - just sayin')

11. bassguy72

bassguy72

I just got this bass...it's my first fretless and I'm very impressed so far

12. BassBoomer23

BassBoomer23

I've lately been interested in acquiring a 5-String, and what I really want is a fretless that can imitate the Jaco sound, so this sounds like the perfect option.
    You may or may not have seen this video already, but on YouTube there's an owner on this bass who has made a very useful demo of this bass. You will see the settings displayed; also, he seems open to questions so maybe you can leave a comment about his experience.

Hope I could help!
    Best!

13. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

The GC here in Nashville has one and I played it last week. I was really shocked at how good it sounded and played. Even though it was hanging on the wall in a GC, the setup was good. Action was just right, and there was no string buzz. I really liked the piezo setup.

14. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

Try it with tapes - it practically plays itself!

15. bassguy72

bassguy72

What is the difference between tape and flat wound strings?

16. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

17. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

I played the four string model, but I am a fiver. Anyways, I've never drooled over an instrument until I played the four string model at GC sacto. I even went back to it because nothing else impressed me. I have since gone twice just to play it an reassure myself how awesome it was. I'm currently selling gear to get money to buy the five stringer, that's how much this bass gave me a woody. I ALWAYS recommend try before you buy though, because the thirty four inch scale iisn't for everybody

vmabus likes this.
  18. grogers311

grogers311

Played a 705 in the local shop, very nice bass but the one I tried was fretted. I recently picked up a 1205 & absolutely LOVE IT! Differences are a neck-through design & Bartonelli EQ & pickups (at least in mine, I bought it used & it may have been an upgrade?). From what I've heard, the 705 is similar to other high end SRs, so my bet is you'll be very happy with it. Have you kicked the tires on one yet?

Here's a couple quick shots of my 1205 - as I said, if they're as similar as I've read, you'll love it!

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    vmabus likes this.
  19. slareman

slareman

Does anyone know if it's 16.5 mm string spacing at the bridge? I would guess so (like most SRs) but in another thread here someone commented that it felt larger than that.

20. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member