1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ibanez SRX Replacement Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GrandLowBass, Nov 3, 2012.

1. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass Supporting Member

I have an Ibanez SRX (my first bass) which is currently getting defretted. I love the feel of the instrument and, depending upon the quality of the defret, I plan to replace the pickups.

Bartolinis and EMG's are obvious options, as they are active, possible direct drop in replacements. Although both brands interest me, I have a thing for single coil/passive tone and am curious if any soapbar/single coil/passive pickups exist as a direct drop in.

I understand that preamp replacement may be required but I'll figure that out later.

So, what are my options and what is the best choice?

Attached Files:

2. GrandLowBass

Bump for assistance.
  3. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

P preamp upgrade will probably give you a more noticeable change in sound than swapping the pickups.

Ibanez doesn't typically ship with quality preamps...
  4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    +1 I have seen great improvements with Demeterand Aquilar preamps.
  5. augdog

augdog

I put Barts in my srx pups and pre and it kicked butt. I sold the preamp but I have the pups for sale. They fit perfectly. I can send you a recording of it if you want.
  6. augdog

augdog

BTW the Bart's gave the bass a deeper sound. I could also get a really punchy sound with the mid control increased a bit.
  7. GrandLowBass

Thanks all!

It seems as though a preamp change might be in order, whether I swap the pickups or not. I'm familiar with the Aguilar pre but any thoughts good/bad on the Demeter BEQP-1?

Augdog, I would love to hear those sounds clips. I'm mostly wondering if the Barts are somewhat transparent or if they color the tone of the instrument quite a bit.
  8. augdog

augdog

Grandlowbass, I'll do a mix down of bass and drums from a demo and send it your way probably tomorrow.
  9. GrandLowBass

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to it! :bassist:
  10. iunno

iunno

SGD makes great pickups.
  11. augdog

augdog

Here is a recording of the SRX300 with bart soapbars and bart preamp. Its from a demo I worked on but I just left the bass and drum tracks.

Be gentle on my playing!!!! I'm not sure if I'm ready to share my playing with the bass community!!

Attached Files:

12. GrandLowBass

These do look nice. What kind do you have?
  13. GrandLowBass

Thanks augdog, I'll give this a listen tonight!
  14. inmate13

inmate13

@augdog: Cant belive this is SRX on this track :) sounds great
  15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I would use Nordstrand pickups
  16. GrandLowBass

Augdog, you rock! I think your basslines are plenty ready for TB :cool:

The Barts sound phenomenal. I'm with inmate, that bass sounds better than it should! Thanks a bunch for the assistance.
  17. GrandLowBass

Well those Barts just blew me away, but Nordstrand has always interested me. The only problem I would have is selecting a winding; I probably lean towards big splits but the dual coils and fat stacks interest me. Any more info?
  18. inmate13

inmate13

One more thing in consider. There is a BIG thing in tehnics of playing, thats why Augdogs SRX sounds good, he just plays good with feeling!!! I noticed that myself on my BTB, different approach on style gives you different sound.

I'm on a hunt on changing electronics on my BTB too, but i'll only change the preamp or make it passive.
  19. GrandLowBass

I'm with you here. There's no use in completely obsessing over electronics, because it's about the player's skill :bassist:

But the stock SRX electronics are noisy and not the greatest tonally. Thus, I look to find the most worthy replacement which will make me want to practice and play with more expression. Solid equipment inspires me.
  20. inmate13

inmate13

Same here with BTB, i think that preamp just sucks sometimes :) pickups are OK, not perfect but OK. So like i said, i'm going to try passive cuz MKII hum's are passive and maybe some other preamp, i think that Aguilar just calls my name :) but it's hard to get it here in Slovenia :)